• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Working With Young Guest Turners

My cousin's son has become interested in woodworking through shop class at his school, and his mother has asked me if I would be interested/willing to have him over to my shop to make something. Now I am not at all sure that this will come to pass as there are vaccine issues, but lets assume for the sake of this discussion that matter is resolved. Also, I intend to wait until his semester is over and he's been taught the safety basics according to his teacher and has been introduced to the lathe (they turn a pen). And I should point out that my would be apprentice is a freshman in high school. so nearly adult size. So my question regards what to do for PPE and other safety considerations.

Right off I do have spare safety glasses (in good condition) and spare face shields.
I have noise reducing ear muffs he can wear as well.
But what to do about respiratory protection? I use a PAPR, but I'm certainly not going to pop off and buy a spare one of those.
After that, closed toe shoes, no long sleeves, and no jewelry
What else should I be thinking of?

As far as projects, we're going to have to stay in my wheel house, so probably a small bowl.

At our high school, we generally start with spindle projects, to emphasize ABCs and start learning body positioning and tool control. Between centers, if you check them the first time or two, is a pretty safe way to mount. It takes new students FOREVER to round a spindle blank into a cylinder, and then learn and practice basic cuts. I usually have them to a bead-cove stick, to give me some idea of their coordination, how fast they're inclined to go, and how safety conscious they seem. There are wide variations in these from student to student. Our first actual project is usually the second session, and they can make a top or a honey dipper. By the time they've got one done, I've got a pretty good idea of how hawk-like my supervision needs to be.

The value in freshmen turning cautiously and slowly it that there's very little dust produced compared to, say, Glenn Lucas and his dumpster. Our students turn in the Astrodome sized high school shop, so we just ignore the dust.

One suggestion is to keep in mind that kids have a shorter attention span, so plan on 45-90 minutes max the first session or two. (My first turning experience went by in a flash, and I was amazed to discover it was 5 hours. Kids are different) And plan to put your complimenter on hyperdrive. Some of our students are not coordinated, have poor sense of shape, etc. so sometimes we have to manufacture success to get them to stick with it long enough to actually make something. Some of them can't comprehend oral instructions and need you to show them first, sometimes even helping them get the idea by holding the tool 'with them'. Friendly wood, like cherry, is helpful, too.

I got my cousin's daughter started when she was about 8 (that's a whole nuther set of issues) and she fell in love with it. It's very rewarding when it works.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Although I have used the Airstream for about a dozen years, I have switched my preference to the Resp-o-rator about 2005 or so. I really like the lightness, convenience, and uncomplicated design. I think since it's so cheap, everybody ought to have one, even if it becomes just a spare method of protection. I still have my Airstream, but it's now my back-up protection.

The Resp-o-rator comes with some down sides. You breathe through your mouth, somewhat similar to a scuba diver. Some people have a hard time getting used to that, but it boils down to how much you want the convenience such a method offers. Since I'm removing my breathing protection on and off constantly, I want that convenience.

The resp-o-rator fits nicely under the UVEX bionic face shield.

-----odie-----

1272_7159_popup.jpg

Don't count on him getting "all the safety basics" from his 1st semester in HS woodshop. He is most likely in a class with 20 to 30 other kids and one instructor. Start in as though he's a new-be. You should be able to tell pretty quickly what he does and doesn't know.

It is good to know that there are still schools that offer a shop class, long gone around here.

Tom Albrecht, Certified Industrial Arts Instructor

It is good to know that there are still schools that offer a shop class, long gone around here.
Actually he's out in Naperville, so same "around here" as you and me. But I was surprised, too.

I'm not so concerned that his safety education is complete, but I do want the instructor to have the first go, so there's no "my cousin says". If later on I have to gently disagree with the teacher, well that's how we do it in my shop. (And I'm buying time to see what happens with the pandemic).

Actually he's out in Naperville, so same "around here" as you and me. But I was surprised, too.

I'm not so concerned that his safety education is complete, but I do want the instructor to have the first go, so there's no "my cousin says". If later on I have to gently disagree with the teacher, well that's how we do it in my shop. (And I'm buying time to see what happens with the pandemic).
Well I took a year and half off from my volunteer woodturning teaching gig at the Chicago Waldorf School. I started up again last month with five students in the class. Everyone there is vaccinated and masks are required. It is no fun teaching with a mask, but some day this too shall pass.
Good luck.

… It is no fun teaching with a mask…
You might try a PAPR instead of a mask. I have a CleanAir PAPR. It’s very comfortable and quiet enough that I’ve worn it while instructing another, or talking with my wife when she’s come into the shop. It also means I’m wearing a face shield which I wasn’t in the habit of before getting it :)

Back