• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WTB: jackshaft

Power the lathe with a VFD and a 3-phase motor and your problem is solved.
You can use your house power to run the VFD and the VFD converts your house power to 3-phase to run the motor at any speed.
This is one of the cheapest ways to achieve speed control on that type of lathe.
Installing a jack shaft and pulleys will require steel mounts on both ends of the jack shaft mounted between your motor & headstock.
This requires metal fabrication, welding, modifications to the lathe leg supports and plenty of design time.
The VFD and 3-phase motor is plug and play with very little modifications if any to your existing lathe.

Mike, thank you for your advice. I've wondered about a VFD and 3-phase motor, and I'll give that some additional thought. That would certainly provide variable speed, which a jackshaft cannot.

Almost all of my woodworking machinery is old iron, and I've enjoyed the metal fabrication/design elements involved in the restoration of each of the machines. I don't think that welding or leg support mods should be required. Craftsman, Delta, and other manufacturers offered jackshaft assemblies, and lots are still out there. Not quite plug and play, but close enough.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
Something like these period-appropriate examples would be ideal, but I don't mind modifying something or starting from scratch if need be.

I suspect that what I should *really* be doing is buying a new, or at least newer, lathe. This 9 x 30 lathe is sufficiently archaic to be holding even me back. Obviously little swing, and it has never known a ball bearing (though bronze/oilite bushings don't get enough respect). I think that most of my old machinery is actually superior to what can be affordably purchased now, but that is not the case with this lathe. So, I've also been considering a mid-grade lathe from Jet.

I will continue considering a VFD or new lathe, but in the meantime I remain interested in finding an old jackshaft assembly.

Last edited:
What you’re showing was my first lathe, inherited from the landlord of our rental house in 1978 or so. It served me well for a number of years, although I did manage to break the cast iron banjo following a catch. Made a replacement from a stout piece of oak which, while not ideal, worked well enough. Even has an indexing head, if I remember correctly.

Lou, that's neat. Funny how old machines seem to find us. And you're correct-- the lathe does have an indexing head. That's a beautiful boat-- did you make it?

It was, but we sold the place we had in the Adirondacks and it was pretty impractical to keep. The second one (actually the first I built) hung for a while in the rafters of my garage shop, and then I shocked my wife by taking it out and cutting it in half. This way I can enjoy it every day. B9A30484-9602-4DBD-8844-8691508981D2.jpeg
The other half is still in the rafters in case we, or someone else, ever needs an extra set of shelves.

Mike, thank you! I missed what appears to have been a nice Craftsman/Dunlap on eBay about a month ago, so I will see what's there and save a couple of search terems. But-- as it turns out I found a used Jet 12-21 just today, which is an upgrade over my old Craftsman pal in many ways. The old feller does offer more length for the occasional longer spindle, so I plan to keep it around. Getting the speed down on the Craftsman will suddenly be less of a priority now, though I may still try a jackshaft or VFD at some point.

Back