• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

WTB Variable Speed Control 1 HP motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a mini vicmarc vL100 lathe that has no motor or control box. I'm looking for a motor anywhere from 3/4 - 1 hp with variable speed control box and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas of where I might be able to find a good source to purchase one? Thank you!

Woodworkers Emporium, a US company, has Vicmarc parts. Don't know which ones, but a search kicked back over 400 parts for a variety of models.

Maybe try the Vicmarc website and use the contact page? They have their email address, phone number (Australia) and Facebook page listed there.

Made in Australia, if a OEM motor/other electrical components are used it will need a converter 50 to 60 HZ and 230 to 110 volts. I have no idea if there's a US model with 110v/60HZ electrical components.

Another possibility would to be to buy another used Vicmarc and use it for parts.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
A small 3 phase motor and a VFD will do what you need very nicely. Any motor shop should be able to fix you up if you know what the frame type of the motor is. There are also many online sources, I've used electricmotorwarehouse.com (Leeson) and electricmotorwholesale.com (Baldor).
If you need help a local motor shop will be easier than trying to figure out all the options.

Woodworkers Emporium, a US company, has Vicmarc parts. Don't know which ones, but a search kicked back over 400 parts for a variety of models.

Maybe try the Vicmarc website and use the contact page? They have their email address, phone number (Australia) and Facebook page listed there.

Made in Australia, if a OEM motor/other electrical components are used it will need a converter 50 to 60 HZ and 230 to 110 volts. I have no idea if there's a US model with 110v/60HZ electrical components.

Another possibility would to be to buy another used Vicmarc and use it for parts.
Thank you! I have looked online at those websites but it doesn't seem like they have what I am looking for but I'll check again, sometimes I overlook things. Woodturners Catalog has a Leeson motor and control box but its out of stock and seems like it would be worth it for me to just buy a brand new lathe for the price of the motor ha.

I wish Vicmarc had the lathe on the website but I don't think they make this model anymore. I was thinking about trying to find another vicmarc but I saw this on craigslist and couldn't wait to pass it up, its in great condition never been used. It's a good idea to send them an email, I didn't get that far. Thanks again!

A small 3 phase motor and a VFD will do what you need very nicely. Any motor shop should be able to fix you up if you know what the frame type of the motor is. There are also many online sources, I've used electricmotorwarehouse.com (Leeson) and electricmotorwholesale.com (Baldor).
If you need help a local motor shop will be easier than trying to figure out all the options.
These are great resources thank you so much! I kinda live in the mountains and boonies, I'm not even sure we have a local motor shop near by me haha

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
These are great resources thank you so much! I kinda live in the mountains and boonies, I'm not even sure we have a local motor shop near by me haha
Calistoga isn't that far from the Big City! Lovely place. Yes, you might have to go to San Francisco or, more likely, Oakland.

There's a place called E&M in Healdsburg you might call.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I just purchased a mini vicmarc vL100 lathe that has no motor or control box. I'm looking for a motor anywhere from 3/4 - 1 hp with variable speed control box and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas of where I might be able to find a good source to purchase one? Thank you!
The original VL100 lathes came without motors, switches, etc. - just a lathe and belt with a matching motor pulley (IIRC). Ordered mine from CSUSA and it arrived about 4 months later in 1996. I bought a 1/2hp DC motor, DC controller and F/R switch from an electrical supply company. I'm sure you have many more options today....from motor shops or electrical shops. Be sure to check the shaft size for your pulley. If you have the newer version of VL100 knowing the frame size may be necessary.

The original VL100 lathes came without motors, switches, etc. - just a lathe and belt with a matching motor pulley (IIRC). Ordered mine from CSUSA and it arrived about 4 months later in 1996. I bought a 1/2hp DC motor, DC controller and F/R switch from an electrical supply company. I'm sure you have many more options today....from motor shops or electrical shops. Be sure to check the shaft size for your pulley. If you have the newer version of VL100 knowing the frame size may be necessary.
I actually have the same exact lathe as you do! It's from 96 and never been used. Okay will do thanks so much! I'm new to finding resources and utilizing multiple sources

Website
www.cutthroatwoodworks.com
I actually have the same exact lathe as you do! It's from 96 and never been used. Okay will do thanks so much! I'm new to finding resources and utilizing multiple sources
Yasemin, I am following up as to how your powering the VL100 is going. I have a few VL100 lathes that I'd like to overhaul. I am sorry I don't have any helpful hints. I'd love to hear what you've done to make your Vic run.

Thanks,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back