• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Zack Soderquist

Hello Everyone. My name is Zack Soderquist. I am originally from North Dakota but I have lived the last 25 years in Lincoln, NE. I am a computer guy by trade but I wanted a hobby that got me away from technology (as much as possible). So I started off building wooden ship models. A friend gave me a WEN 8 Inch Lathe for Christmas so I could turn my own masts for ships. With the model I was working on at the time, it was going to be at least a year before I got to the masts and I wanted to try out the lathe sooner than that. So I bought stuff to turn some pens for Christmas presents and I was hooked (haven't touched my model since).

Since then I have upgraded my lathe to a Jet 1221VS lathe and plan on acquiring a Baell buffing system to convert my 8 inch WEN to a permanent buffing system. I started out buying some Benjamin's Best lathe tools but recently I started upgrading my tools to D-Way tools. Man, what a difference.Jimmie and Cindy have been great, and very patient answering my hundreds of questions about tools and sharpening.

After reading a recent article in American Woodturner, I realized there are two primary aspects of woodturning. The art and the craft of it. I am a huge believer in learning the correct fundamentals in anything you do. That along with the fact as a programmer, I have very little creativeness in me, I am focusing on learning the craft.

All of my learning has been through videos and books. They seem to teach you the "basics" but no one tells you the "tricks". Those little things that make a world of difference that experienced turners don't even think about anymore. I have only met one other turner in my area and other than a few discussions, I have not had a chance to get together with him and get some in person advice in a shop setting.

Currently I am focusing on spindle turning, I have not even attempted face grain turning. I am hoping to master (i.e. get very comfortable with) spindle turning tools and techniques before graduating to working on face grain turning.

Anyways, sorry for the long introduction. With the COVID thing going on, I haven't had many adult conversations so things got a bit wordy. Sorry!

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far.

Happy Turning

Zack,

Welcome.
There is a woodturning club that meets monthly in Lincoln, not sure what they are doing with the COVID-19 thing going on. Lots of different projects you can turn with a lathe.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Zack. We all are probably getting a little stir crazy. The forum helps a bit with connecting to other real people. A number of woodturning clubs have already started doing virtual Zoom meetings and my club, the Woodturners of North Texas, will have its first virtual club meeting later this month.

Programmers are creative in their own unique way. When I began my engineering career it was before there were computer programmers so we became our own programmers writing whatever programs we needed to run on mainframe computers so I can appreciate the creative work done by programmers. I can't say that I miss the Hollerith cards and reams of tractor feed paper. Being an artist is a lot like being a programmer ... lots of rote work with an occasional Eureka!

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Welcome-- the good news among the bad news is that there are now many turning clubs meeting online, so even if you don't have a nearby chapter you can participate in meetings. The remote demo we had last month was superb-- you could actually see a lot more than in a live demo.

Welcome! Joining a local chapter is a good move. I joined on about 6-7 years ago and feel it is worth the time each month for meetings.

Detailed build! Thanks for sharing and the great photos. Reminds me of the longboats in the movie, Moby Dick.

Back