John Beaver

3D Segments

This is an idea I have been playing with for a while now. I have a few other designs I want to bring this concept to, but I had to make sure I could successfully have protruding elements going two different directions, so I kept the design fairly straight forward. I really wasn't sure I could pull it off, as there were many challenges with grain direction, alignment and clamping techniques. It's not classical segmenting, instead the main body is turned as one bowl then deconstructed and reconstructed with the added elements. It's about 4" x 6" White Ash and Maple. Comments please. I would love feedback on the idea.

3D Segments
John Beaver, Jul 13, 2012
    • derek atkins
      I DO like this. Was the original bowl segmented and if so how did you "glue" the segments together for the turning?
    • JoWinter
      Hi John,
      very impressive.
    • john lucas
      John I love it. I'm working on a very large lamp right now that will have some protruding elements. Mostly they are going to be there to save my butt when the 45" long compound miter staves don't fit as well as would like. they are also there to help support some outer rings that will be sort of floating on the piece.
    • John Lawson
      Since the prototype turned out so spectacularly, I can't wait to see the other designs made real.
    • Peter Gray
      Don't think I have seen this type of work before John, absolutely fasinating result, I like :cool2:
      Pete
    • KurtB
      I kept coming back to this piece. Well done!

Turning of the Week, 07/15/2012
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • John Beaver
      Thanks Kurt.

Always an honor to know that all the hard work is appreciated.
    • gary rock
      John-

Congratulations on your piece being chosen for the "Turning of the Week."

Gary
    • Thomas Stegall
      It has a Japanese flavor to it. Very elegant design.
    • Marc Phillips
      Wow... very impressive indeed
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    John Beaver
    Date:
    Jul 13, 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    49.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    664px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300
    Date / Time:
    2012:07:13 16:00:07
    Exposure Time:
    10/13 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).