• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Box Elder Hollow Form
khertzog

Box Elder Hollow Form

A small Box Elder hollow form. The piece stands about 5 inches tall. Finished with a wipe on coat of Waterlox, 1000 grit sanding after drying, Triple E, and wax.
Someone will probably give you trouble about the form, but it won't be me, I really like everything about this!
Nice Job.

very nice

Thank you all,
Barry, It is indeed the natural color and as a matter of fact, it is quite subdued in the photo. In real life, it is almost "bleeding". When I got the wood originally, I thought the guy had phoneyed it up because the wood had such vivid reds. No doctoring, it was the real deal. This photo and finish really doesn't show the intense reds that were in some of the stock. I'll be dipping into that stash of wood more in the future and hopefully can do it justice. I'll post pix here when done.

A fantastic piece of Box Elder, and well turned also!

POD 09-06-09
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Very nice turning and wood selection. Do you mind letting me know where you sourced the wood? - Steve Green

Steve, That particular box elder was purchased from a local cutter who calls me when he has something very nice. He doesn't have a store front or website. He sells mainly to a few local turners. Box Elder is available from most of the commercial sellers catering to the turning community but the coloring and "burlieness" varies all over the map. I prefer to see it up close and then make an offer on it rather than a picture or representative picture on the inet.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
khertzog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device