• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Coastal Forms
S. Clark

Coastal Forms

Driftwood, Largest 4
Unique and very interesting Flotsam AND JETSAM

Wow, I like these a lot especially the contrast between the rough and smooth surfaces. How did you mount these on the lathe?

I developed the following process so that I could orient the upper surface and the opening precisely to my liking.

I first drill a shallow, flat-bottomed hole with a forstner bit, where the opening is going to be. I have full control of where and at what angle this is. I turn a wooden plug to fit this hole with a morse taper on its opposite end. This gets jammed into the lathe and the small chunk of wood is glued on it. I then can turn the bottom of the chunk flat, remove the morse taper plug from the lathe, and reverse it into the tail stock. This is then used to clamp and glue the chunk to a flat block that has been mounted on the drive. Then back off the tail stock and turn away the plug and make the opening. It sounds complicated but its really rather easy.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
S. Clark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device