Bill Boehme

Maple and Geometry

Dyed rim maple platter 10" diameter. Chestnut dyes and lacquer finish. Rim has embedded copper braid partially turned away to create the pattern. Alternate view to more clearly show the copper braid detail.

Maple and Geometry
Bill Boehme, Jun 19, 2016
    • charlie knighton
      rim is excellent, would like to see the bottom
    • Bill Boehme
      The bottom and top both have the same curvature which is a truncated section of a 32" diameter sphere. The bottom is finished with clear lacquer. The "dish" on the top is a paraboloid with a focus point one inch from the bottom.

The title of the piece is a reference to the Museum of Geometric and MADI Art on Maple Street in Dallas.
    • charlie knighton
      would be a great opportunity to view different artist work
    • Douglas Ladendorf
      I love this piece Bill. How did you determine and cut the paraboid dish?
    • Bill Boehme
      @Douglas Ladendorf
      I have a basic CAD program called DeltaCAD that I use to make paper templates. The paraboloid was easily designed by just deciding the desired diameter at the top and the depth at the center. I have played around with different geometric shapes and have decided that I prefer to have a spherical dish because of the light reflecting properties. Since any three points will define a circle, I pick two points on opposite sides of the rim and the center deepest point.
    • charlie knighton
      size cannot be determined by looking at picture.....very well balanced, large impressive piece
    • Bill Boehme
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Bill Boehme's Album
    Uploaded By:
    Bill Boehme
    Date:
    Jun 19, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    305.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    751px
    Aperture:
    f/11.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 7D
    Date / Time:
    2014:11:30 23:00:49
    Exposure Time:
    13/10 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    115 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).