Alan Trout

Mesquite and Resin Vase

This is a piece I finished last night. It was a twisted wormy piece of mesquite with blue and purple resin. It is about 10+ inches tall and about 7" at the widest point. The finish is a catalyzed varnish wet sanded, buffed and hand rubbed to a high gloss. As always comments are welcome. Thanks Alan

Mesquite and Resin Vase
Alan Trout, Oct 10, 2010
    • Michelle Rich
      Pure Eye Candy..gorgeous
    • Don Leydens
      Absolutely gorgeous!
      Don L.
    • Dick Wilson
      Alan, beautiful piece. I love the contrast of blue resin and natural wood. Spot on form. What type of resin and coloring did you use?
    • Chuck Beland
      I would also love any info on to do this myself.
    • Alan Trout
      I use powder pigments. I also use polyurethane resin. It does not shrink like polyester resin but has to be pressure cast IMHO at relatively high pressure. The problem with this is most of the pressure pots are not designed to take the pressure and can be a bit dangerous in the overpressure situation. There have been reports of failures. In other words the pressure pot could take your head off. Be sure you know and accept the risk and know what you are doing. and even with this i am sure that bad things could happen.

This can also be a bit pricey endeavor. The resin buying 2 gallons at a time will set you back over .70 ounce with shipping. By the time you get a pot set up and the resin and pigments you can easily have $400 to over a $1000 depending on the pot.

I do not want to discourage anyone, but before you take the leap know what you are getting into.

Thanks for you kind words. I really enjoy all the positive comments.

Alan
    • Dick Wilson
      Alan, Thank you for the explanation on the process you use. This is obviously not a look you go for if you only want to do a half dozen pieces. $$$$$$$$$ Guess I will just have to admire the work from afar.
    • george morris
      Very beautiful! Well done! G
    • Chuck Beland
      Alan,
      Why does it have to be done under pressure? Is it because of the poly resin?
    • Jason Cohn
      Pressure is used for a couple reasons; to push the resin into all the cracks, nooks and crannies and to reduce any air bubbles in the resin. At least in my experience.

I do have a question for Alan. How did you apply the catalyzed varnish? Did you spray it? Does it really matter if you're going to wet sand and buff it?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Alan Trout
    Date:
    Oct 10, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    126.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/3.9
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS1
    Date / Time:
    2010:10:09 23:50:13
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    9.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).