James Seyfried

Road Kill

Found a piece of Cherry crotch log on the side of the road by my house. The Road Commission cut it down as it was obstructing vision by the corner. This is the largest of four cores that I got from half of the log. The bowl is about 16.5” x 6” (420mm x 152mm) at the largest points and 3/8” (9.5mm) thick. With the bowl being oval shape and being somewhat OCD, I decided to carve four legs, I made them large to distribute weight to prevent marking surfaces that it sits on. With the large bark inclusion it will probably be a rocker someday, but it sits flat now. I used epoxy and dark sawdust/chips to fill the bark inclusion. It is finished with Danish oil and buffed with Tripoli and white diamond compound. I also used thin CA on the bark.

Road Kill
    • Roger Chandler
      Jim, this is just so well done......the grain symmetry, the bark left on, the overall heart shape, the feather grain in the crotch.....you did a superb job on this natural edge. You ought to thank the tree trimmers for making it available!
    • Zach LaPerriere
      Great treatment of a fine piece of wood, and what an artful title and description.
    • Art Betke
      Optical illusion, the grain makes it look like the figured center is raised.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      Very beautiful and unique piece of wood......not to mention a great job of accentuating these qualities.

-----odie-----
    • Joe Greiner
      Perfect name and excellent execution.
      For future reference, to prevent rocking, carve only three legs instead of four.
    • James Seyfried
      Thank you for the comments!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    James Seyfried
    Date:
    May 25, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    162.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    662px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).