michael alguire

Russian Torch

My gift exchange piece for our local club. This is a piece of Russian olive that had some burl on it, I turned it to the finish thickness, sanded to 240, I then used a touch to bring out the grain rings. I then finish sanding through the rest of the grits. Finish is watco danish oil, with three stage buff size is 10" x 5.750"

Russian Torch
michael alguire, Dec 4, 2016
    • Curtis Fuller
      This bowl and your juniper hollowform are both just out of this world beautiful!
    • Justin Stephen
      Absolutely lovely.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      Michael, this piece is exceptional. In your description, you mentioned you stopped at 240 grit during the sanding process, to add a "touch to bring out the grain rings". Can you further expound on that please? thanks.
      ko
    • michael alguire
      yes odie i can and thank you for your kind words

Well to start with, is the choice of wood ,any porous gained wood ,Russian olive, oak,ash and mulberry work s too
      Turn your form and sand the piece too 240 grit

I use a hand held torch and follow the gain putting the flame in the porous part of the gain you want to run it across the grain slowly but fast enough so you don't over burn ,or burn the non porous wood. No worries if you have a little over burn cause once you finish burning you continue to sand the piece with 240 again then 320 ,400
      After You can apply your finish.
    • Nicholas Licata
      Outstanding! I usually do not find natural edge bowls appealing, but this one drew me right in.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    michael alguire
    Date:
    Dec 4, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4549px
    Height:
    2797px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot A2500
    Date / Time:
    2016:12:02 23:26:21
    Exposure Time:
    8/10 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    15.401 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).