gary rock

White Oak Crotch

A piece of branch crotch that was a piece of fire wood, that was split. It was about 4 inch thick, 16 inches long, 12 inches wide at the ctotch, mounted and turned to 1/4 inch thickness. Used wood grain filler to fill the pours of the wood then finished with 7 coats of high gloss wipe-on-poly.

White Oak Crotch
gary rock, May 21, 2013
    • Lionel Mercier
      Hi Gary,
      I like this use of the fire wood.
      One part seems like it's spalted, with some holes in it.
      The piece looks like a confluent of two rivers with different water shades I think about Rio Negro and Solimoes in Manaus :)
    • Peter Gray
      Bet this sounded like a turbine spinning Gary, great spotting in seeing potential in this piece of timber, I'm with Lionel in that it does look like the convergence of two different timbers, nice result :)
      pete
    • odie
      Hi Gary.......nice save!

I'd be interested in seeing how you did the foot on this one.

ooc
    • gary rock
      Loinel and Pete-

Thanks. When Loinel mentioned that it looked like two rivers merging together, it just sounded right. Sanding the piece while on the lathe was a little exciting spinning around at 500 rpm. One part of the fork was ruff breakage and didn't want to lose that so took extra care not to do that.

Odie-

Turned a piece to fit the curve of the inside piece, put a piece of foam on it and brought up the tail stock. Turned a foot with light cuts so I wouldn't knock it off the lathe. Continued cutting the inside of the foot to a fine piont with the tail stock holding it. Sanded it then took of the lathe and cut the tail piece off and sanded the nub out.

Gary
    • Roger Chandler
      Nicely done Gary!
    • gary rock
      Roger-

Thanks.

Gary
    • KurtB
      This piece is a great reminder that sometimes it's not about turning a spectacular piece of wood, but maybe making the piece that you have spectacular! Well done!

Turning of the Week, 05/26/2013
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • gary rock
      Kurt-

Thanks for the honor and the kind words.

Gary
    • Robert Lane
      Hello Gary,

Congrats! Well done! Your idea about the rivers is interesting. Here where I live there three converging rivers, the Danube, the Inn and the Iltz. Now you need to find a three branch crotch. :) for your next piece.

Robert
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    gary rock
    Date:
    May 21, 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    233 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    531px
    Aperture:
    f/22.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300
    Date / Time:
    2013:04:20 09:09:41
    Exposure Time:
    5/2 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    105 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).