• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

fluted

1. Intoxicated

Intoxicated

While thinking about a name for this piece I googled Urban Dictionary and discovered the slang for fluted is drunk or intoxicated. I thought how fitting for this piece as the bowl being oval must be intoxicated! Arbutus Burl twice turned 11.5" X 7" X 3" finished with 2 coats of tung oil and buffed.
  2. Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl

Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl

This piece of burl has some interesting voids so rather than trying to fill the voids I wanted to enhance the piece and leave its natural beauty. The fluting was done on the lathe using a laminate trimmer and a new jig setup I put together recently. The jig doubles as my setup table for branding...
  3. Fluted Arbutus Bowl

Fluted Arbutus Bowl

While I have fluted a number of bowls over the years I have not branded them or experimented much with colour. This Arbutus piece is 12" diameter X 5" the branding was dyed with India ink then the outside stained. I think the flutes are too far apart but am happy with the branding results. Happy...
  4. Umgede

Umgede

Concave flutes in Camphor laurel, oiled n buffed some
  5. 'Survival'

'Survival'

Redgum part of a very large root ball 12 x 5" or 30cm x 12.5cm AO and buffed
  6. fluted spirals

fluted spirals

Blackwood Acacia Melanoxylon 4.5x4.5" AO and buffed
  7. Walnut Fluted Bowl

Walnut Fluted Bowl

A much smaller fluted piece. Only 24 flutes and only about 4 inch diameter. Surprisingly more difficult to carve than the larger pieces.
  8. Walnut Fluted Bowl

Walnut Fluted Bowl

Approximately 12 inch diameter, 56 Handcarved flutes. Walnut is finished with Antique Oil and beall buffed. Another of my Stirt style bowls
  9. Cherry Fluted Bowl

Cherry Fluted Bowl

This was the first of my handfluted bowls. I had been attempting to flute bowls but had been unhappy with the results. In January 08 I attended the Al Stirt class at John C Campbell and Al set me on a course to do much better work. This piece is approximately 14" in dia with 96 flutes.
  10. Fluted bowl

Fluted bowl

Fluted bowl, red gum burl, approx 10"x 3" finished with DO
  11. Fluted bowl

Fluted bowl

Fluted bowl, red gum burl, approx 10" x 3" finished with DO.
  12. Mt. St. Helens

Mt. St. Helens

24" x 3" Walnut Photo: Arlan Heiser
  13. Black Walnut Vase 2

Black Walnut Vase 2

Side view of fluted Black Walnut Vase to reveal grain pattern.
  14. Black Walnut Vase

Black Walnut Vase

Black Walnut rough turned green, seasoned, finish turned, fluted and finished with sanding sealer between 180 - 400 grit, 3 coats of Waterlox and buffed with Beall system. Grain was quite unique for the piece. 7" dia x 6" high.
  15. Fluted Mesquite Cup

Fluted Mesquite Cup

Another fluted item. From mesquite log salvaged from the dump. Fun stuff!
  16. Fluted Ash bowl

Fluted Ash bowl

Finished with Tung oil
  17. Fluted oak wide mouth vase

Fluted oak wide mouth vase

Red oak, hard as a stone.
Back