• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl
Dave Roberts

Fluted Arbutus Burl Bowl

This piece of burl has some interesting voids so rather than trying to fill the voids I wanted to enhance the piece and leave its natural beauty. The fluting was done on the lathe using a laminate trimmer and a new jig setup I put together recently. The jig doubles as my setup table for branding as well. Arbutus Burl Bowl 10.5" X 5.5" finished with 2 coats of tung oil and lightly buffed.
Nice job on the fluting, any chance you could post a picture of the jig you use for this? I'm interested in starting to do this.
Thank you Vincent, I posted 2 pictures on my blog so hopefully the link works. The platform is made with 1" steel post and an aluminum plate 1/4" is bolted to the post. The MFD board is mounted to the aluminum plate and as you can see in the photo there are slots with T tracks. I use this to set stop blocks for the router to control the length of the flute. The other picture shows the laminate trimmer. I made a new plexiglass plate so that it rubs along the table surface the same height as the base, this prevents the trimmer or router from tilting and making a mess of the flute. You can see the white HDPE piece where the router bit extends. That piece has male threads and the plexiglass piece has female threads, this is how I set the bit depth. The white HDPE node follows the contour of the wood so I don't have to make sacrificial templates for the router base to follow. It seems to be working far better. If you cant get to the pictures I can email them.
https://www.darawoodworks.com/blog-1

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Roberts
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata