• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollowform

1. Walnut crotch Vase

Walnut crotch Vase

Walnut Critch Vase
  2. White spruce

White spruce

White spruce vessel with walnut pewa (butterflies). 5.5"h X 5.5"w. This was my first attempt at pewa and was a fun yet challenging piece to turn.
  3. Mesquite crotch

Mesquite crotch

This is a view of the feather. Sorry about the photo dump. I’ve been a bit behind on posting here.
  4. Mesquite

Mesquite

6.25”d x 4”h This piece is from a crotch and has a decent feather, but this is my favorite view. It displays the warmth and chatoyance that I love about mesquite.
  5. Wenge

Wenge

5.25”d x 3.75”h I have heard others describe the “joys” of turning Wenge. This one wasn’t as bad as I was prepared for, but “fun” nonetheless!
  6. Boxelder HF

Boxelder HF

9”d x 5”h Been a while since I’ve gotten a piece of boxelder. This one started quite a bit larger, but much of it was too punky to turn.
  7. Spruce Seed Pot

Spruce Seed Pot

Seed Pot made from a gall that has been dried for around 30 years. I believe the wood to be white spruce. The finish is a mixture of tung oil and candelilla wax buffed to a hard shell. Diameter is 8" and height is 7".
  8. Coeur de l'océan

Coeur de l'océan

This collaborative piece called “heart of the ocean” is the result of collaborative work between Amandine Steck (stained glass) and Guillaume Fontaine (wood turning). The light projections that cross this room evolve throughout the day, which provides an evolving color transfer inside the home...
  9. "Flower Vase" series #12

"Flower Vase" series #12

Poplar, 5.25 inches high
  10. Koa

Koa

5.5”d x 3.25”h
  11. Portland Heritage Tree No. 182

Portland Heritage Tree No. 182

This tree, which was identified as an American Chestnut tree by the city of Portland came down in a storm last month. The fact that it was an American Chestnut has been disputed and it has been accepted that it was in fact a Spanish/American hybrid. This is my first time working with chestnut...
  12. Figured Oregon Myrtlewood

Figured Oregon Myrtlewood

At 10.75”d x 6.25”h, this is the biggest hollowform I’ve made recently. The block of myrtlewood it was turned from came from the estate of Andy Johnson-Laird, which I recently helped pack up. We pulled some incredible blocks of wood out of his crawl space.
  13. monkeypod Urn

monkeypod Urn

Haven't posted in a while as I have been dealing with foot issues and can't stand at the lathe for very long. But, here is a piece i just finished. Monkeypod hollow form/urn. 10" X 5.25" with abs fittings used to make the threaded lid. The round ball on the lid is walnut that was ebonized with...
  14. Sunset Orange

Sunset Orange

Sycamore hollow form 10 inch diameter. Collar in brown ebony with finial in Gabon ebony. Dyed with Chestnut Stains.
  15. Southwestern Box Elder Bowl

Southwestern Box Elder Bowl

This was my first attempt at a Southwestern form. The box elder was green, and was turned wet until finished over a four day period. The size is 8" in diameter, 5.5" tall, with a wall thickness of 0.25". Finished with five coats of gloss lacquer and Beall buffed. The half log had...
  16. Red white And Blue

Red white And Blue

13''hx12'' Boxelder burl with dye and lacquer.
  17. Poplar Hollow Form 5254

Poplar Hollow Form 5254

This is a relatively plain poplar hollow form. It's about 9 3/4 inches tall.
  18. Maple Burl HF

Maple Burl HF

Here is another small hollow form in maple burl with a African Blackwood collar. Form is about 4"h, 2"d, and 1/8"thin. Finished with oil and buffed with wax. All comments welcome.
  19. From the Other Side

From the Other Side

Spalted Maple Hollowform with Walnut base. 6" x 5". Pierced, mild Lacquer finish. Yes, it was intended to look like this and not a "design opportunity". At least THIS time it was. Made it as a donation to a gallery for their 5" x 5" exhibition and sale...
  20. Magic Medicine Nut Lidded Hollowform

Magic Medicine Nut Lidded Hollowform

Hollowform made from a Magic Medicine Nut and is also pierced around the base. Finial is Padauk, lightly carved. 2" tall x 1" widest, 1/8" thickness, fully hollowed. 1/4" opening
Back