• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best wire for burning?

What have you found is the best wire to use for burning (in a groove for spindle stock)? I tried some guitar strings tonight, both wound -- lower notes, and straight -- like the E string, not impressed. The E string burned, but worked at it. The wound string did nothing.

Solid electrical wire works "ok" for me. I need to gently score the spindle first, using the corner of a skew or parting tool. Then, I lay the wire into the scored groove. Biggest hassle is stripping the insulation (or burning off the insulation) from the electrical wire. Don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation, otherwise, the nick is a place where the wire will break when you're burning your decoration.

If there's a Harbor Freight near you, they sell stainless wire (or what they claim to be stainless...)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Guitar string is the same thing aw what you can buy at Craft Supplies and other places for a lot more money. Never used the wrapped strings unless you want to grind a deep groove. Just go to a music store and buy whatever size string you want. I prefer the smaller ones. You need to run the lathe speed up as fast as you dare. Don't try this on large diameter turnings ... if you do then you will find out why I said don't.

I have thought of using stainless steel wire leaders from the fishing tackle section. Anyone tried it? You might be limited in the diameter, though.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's all about friction. Pressure and speed are the culprits. I use guitar strings (mostly because I play guitar and have them). The wound strings don't work very well. I also use copper wire in different sizes. Picture frame wire doesn't work. Apparently the multiple strands just don't conduct heat very well. If you wire isn't working increase the rpm or wrap the wire further around the piece and apply more pressure. Don't wrap the wire around your fingers. If it grabs on the wood you could lose a finger. I put short metal dowels on the end so it looks lie a garotte. Can't get those through the airport but it prevents you from losing a finger and you can apply more pressure. OH by the way, the wire gets hot, don't touch it. :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
OH and while we are at it if you want to burn a groove that in a platter use a piece of plastic laminate. Also dark woods such as ebony will burn a groove. Again it's the speed and pressure that make them work. My friend Chris Ramsey burns the lines for hat bands in his hat using darker woods and friction.
did we mention you should create the groove first with a turning tool, then burn the groove. The toe of the skew or you new V tool will do that nicely.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
OH and while we are at it if you want to burn a groove that in a platter use a piece of plastic laminate. Also dark woods such as ebony will burn a groove. Again it's the speed and pressure that make them work. My friend Chris Ramsey burns the lines for hat bands in his hat using darker woods and friction. did we mention you should create the groove first with a turning tool, then burn the groove. The toe of the skew or you new V tool will do that nicely.
I learned the trick with wood from Johannes Michelson. Johannes taught a lot of people.

Strings are free!

Guitar string is the same thing aw what you can buy at Craft Supplies and other places for a lot more money. Never used the wrapped strings unless you want to grind a deep groove. Just go to a music store and buy whatever size string you want. I prefer the smaller ones. You need to run the lathe speed up as fast as you dare. Don't try this on large diameter turnings ... if you do then you will find out why I said don't.

I'll try again with the E-string, turn the speed up (small spindle, it's OK). No need to buy from music store, I just walked in and asked if they had any old strings laying around. The wrapped string just seemed to sit on the surface. It's brass winding, so perhaps it's just to smooth and soft.

Rumor has it fishing leaders work

I have thought of using stainless steel wire leaders from the fishing tackle section. Anyone tried it? You might be limited in the diameter, though.

I read of someone who found them to work quite well. They're on my list, but sticking with free guitar strings for now.;)

Makes sense

It's all about friction. Pressure and speed are the culprits. I use guitar strings (mostly because I play guitar and have them). The wound strings don't work very well. I also use copper wire in different sizes. Picture frame wire doesn't work. Apparently the multiple strands just don't conduct heat very well. If you wire isn't working increase the rpm or wrap the wire further around the piece and apply more pressure. Don't wrap the wire around your fingers. If it grabs on the wood you could lose a finger. I put short metal dowels on the end so it looks lie a garotte. Can't get those through the airport but it prevents you from losing a finger and you can apply more pressure. OH by the way, the wire gets hot, don't touch it. :)

The lack of heat build-up makes sense. Copper wire sounds like a good choice, we have some around. I would never wrap one around any body part.:eek: Don't know if that's obvious to most newbies, but working around horses for 30+ years, I've learned (and teach my students), never wrap anything that's attached to a horse around your hand or arm. Lathe would be the same. Working with horses, especially youngsters, prepped me well for work with WWing tools. They can do something dangerous in a split second with no warning, so your radar needs to be on and you need to be in a safe position at all times. "Kick" and "Kick-back" have things in common, for sure.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've only ridden a horse twice. The first was too tame and boring. The second was pretty wild and they apparently put me on it as a joke. Threw me off of course. The only kind I get on now need at least 2 wheels and 40 or more horsepower.

I've only ridden a horse twice. The first was too tame and boring. The second was pretty wild and they apparently put me on it as a joke. Threw me off of course. The only kind I get on now need at least 2 wheels and 40 or more horsepower.

The "they" weren't nice! As for 2x40HP, I hear ya there. Rode a Honda 350 for a couple years back in the early '70's. Not quite 40HP, but enough to ride the coast route in California in the summertime.:cool: Got my sense of mortality earlier (much!) on a bike than I did on the horses and quit riding the machines.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I have ridden (and raced) motorcycles most of my life. That is up until a year ago. Had a rear tire fall of on a BMW 1150 at 55mph. My wife (she was a girl friend back then and somehow still married me) was on the back on her first motorcycle ride. We had only gone 3 miles. The insurance company totaled the bike (it really wasn't hurt that bad but I took the money and ran). I really miss riding but I know she would not like me on a bike and of course she will never get on one again. Got some pretty good scrapes and seperated shoulder. She got some good scrapes and a cracked ankle. Being 65 both of us are still healing. That bike weighted 485 lbs and had 85hp. My friends Crotch rocket weighs 475lbs and has 165hp. Now that thing will get up and go. Hope he outgrows it and gets a more reasonable ride one of these days.

Slowing down...and living!

Had a rear tire fall of on a BMW 1150 at 55mph. My wife (she was a girl friend back then and somehow still married me) was on the back on her first motorcycle ride. [snip] Being 65 both of us are still healing.

Ouch! Yes, there comes a time.... Count me in the 65 club. During year 64, I fractured my back in two places, and 8 months later got thrown so hard it could have been curtains, just lucky things turned out OK (after a couple of surgeries). I healed from both fairly quickly, but my psyche is permanently dented. Let's hear it for the Common Sense Club.:D Boring, but at least we'll see 75!

Wire and glue brush handles

I just used some all purpose wire from the home center. Wrap it around a couple pieces of scrap and you are good to go. Seems to work fine.

I dug out some wire from hubby's stash today and burned in a couple of grooves in a wine stopper. Worked better than copper or the E-strong. Used tight-fitting friction gloves to hold it, but afterward took the handles from 2 cheap glue brushes, crimped the middles, drilled holes, and threaded the wire through those. They may not hold up, we'll see, but they were handy.

I always used baling wire since I did concrete work and had tie wire on hand all the time. It is fairly coarse, and burns well. A little big and not tiny crisp lines, but it works. If it isn't burning, then more speed and more pressure. The laminate/formica really works well too.

I never got into horses. I thought about motorcycles, but figured hang gliding was safer. No cars trying to run you over. Any one can fly them, I spent 2 years on the training hill learning to take off and land. Saved a lot of money that way......

robo hippy

Burning on unusual shapes

For wire burning on conical surfaces, you need to hold the wire in a plane perpendicular to the surface of the cone. If the cone is too flat, the burn will have smudged edges. In situations like this (e.g. near the bottom of a bowl), I've successfully used the elbow portion of a dental pick. It even works on the inside of a bowl.

These were all without precut grooves.

Joe

I always used baling wire since I did concrete work and had tie wire on hand all the time. It is fairly coarse, and burns well. A little big and not tiny crisp lines, but it works. If it isn't burning, then more speed and more pressure. The laminate/formica really works well too.

I never got into horses. I thought about motorcycles, but figured hang gliding was safer. No cars trying to run you over. Any one can fly them, I spent 2 years on the training hill learning to take off and land. Saved a lot of money that way......

robo hippy

I miss having baling wire -- all the hay around here is baled with string.:mad: Next time I see some, I'll grab it though. All these recommendations for increased speed.....as long as the bowl isn't too big I guess.:D Hand gliding -- yup, lots less traffic up there! Closest I've come is riding in a glider plane, that was beautiful.

Dental pick, great idea...

For wire burning on conical surfaces, you need to hold the wire in a plane perpendicular to the surface of the cone. If the cone is too flat, the burn will have smudged edges. In situations like this (e.g. near the bottom of a bowl), I've successfully used the elbow portion of a dental pick. It even works on the inside of a bowl.

These were all without precut grooves.

Joe

Ah! I was confused until the last sentence ("without precut grooves"). Curious, though, why would you not put a bit of a groove on first? Seems like that would make it easier. I'm still on spindle stock, but thanks for the tip about the dental pick, that will come in handy for sure. Will lift one during next week's appointment (no, just kidding).

Back