• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This week's selection was easy. From the day it was posted, I knew I wanted to choose it as the TOTW. The honor goes to Jim Hills for his excellent work "Journey II"

What most impressed me is that this is only his second attempt at piercing! The combination of colors is spot on. It reminds me a bit about the work of my good friend Emmet Kane. Jim, I can't wait to be a part of this journey of discovery, well done.

full

This week's selection was easy. From the day it was posted, I knew I wanted to choose it as the TOTW. The honor goes to Jim Hills for his excellent work "Journey II"

What most impressed me is that this is only his second attempt at piercing! The combination of colors is spot on. It reminds me a bit about the work of my good friend Emmet Kane. Jim, I can't wait to be a part of this journey of discovery, well done.

full
the
Emiliano, thanks for choosing this piece as the TOTW...it was truly a surprise and very humbling. I agree that the finishes work well and I want to give credit to Nick Agar for his advice. I was at his studio last month and showed him my first piercing attempt. Nick's suggestion of gold leaf along with Milk Paint so intrigued me that I made this piece over the following week. Jim

What you remove from the piece can be more important than what you leave. Love the composition, color and texture. Keep it up!
Joe, seeing some of your work that you have posted shows a lot of creativity and excellent craftsmanship. Thanks for your comments on my piece.

full
Very well-balanced.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Congratulations, Jim. Love the carved free form recess for the piercing and the complementary wavy rim. I especially like the raised "infinity-like" form - subtle, but very nice touch. Good choice, Emiliano.

full
Nice form and choice of color.

Back