• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

glue for Corian

Someone posted this a while back, but can't find it now.
What is best glue for corian and any tips on procedure.
Thanks, Grandy

Grandy,

This is the way I glue corian, be sure you have two clean flat surfaces, clamp the two pieces of corian together, at the seam add thin ca glue, it will wick into the seam and fuse the two pieces together.
This may not be the best way to do this, but it works for my turnings of small objects.

Doug Stevens
Lake St. Louis MO.

Grandy,

This is the way I glue corian, be sure you have two clean flat surfaces, clamp the two pieces of corian together, at the seam add thin ca glue, it will wick into the seam and fuse the two pieces together.
This may not be the best way to do this, but it works for my turnings of small objects.

Doug Stevens
Lake St. Louis MO.

Doug, I use the same method. Not that I do much Corian work, the method works when I do.

Grandy,

I have been playing with Corian for ~15 years now. Wicking in water-thin CA glue works fine if you only want to hold two pieces of Corian together but you really need to use medium viscosity CA glue if you are going to do something mechanical with it, e.g, turning. By wicking it in thin glue will not cover the mating surfaces completely, leaving voids and a weak joint. I rub the medium glue between the mating surfaces to ensure complete coverage and quickly squeeze the pieces together on a guide covered with thin plastic sheet (so it wouldn't glue to the guide permanently) to get a perfect alignment. The attached picture of a soap dispenser put together as described has been in use continuously since 1997 and has not leaked yet. I am attaching an additional picture to show you can do intricate patterns with glued-up Corian. By the way, come to the segmenting symposium held at Arrowmont this coming November (http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org/assets/symposium.pdf) if you are really interested in turning Corian. I will be doing two rotations on turning Corian.

Good luck and have fun.

Andy

Attachments

• Soap-dispenser-s.jpg
    Soap-dispenser-s.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 125
  • One up on Potters #3.jpg
    One up on Potters #3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 135
I've had good results gluing corian segments into wood pen blanks. I use gel CA and clamp for 30 minutes or so, and have not had one let go. I realize that it's a small application, though.

Back