• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New forum

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Looks good. I often check in from the ForumRunner app. Is there an update for that or a different app to use?

I havent tried it, but Forumrunner claims to support this software - xenforo

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I havent tried it, but Forumrunner claims to support this software - xenforo
While,it does support it, it didn't pick up all the forums and some of the sticky threads

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I would like to chime in with Hal and say that the form looks great also. I know from personal experience how much was put into it. Thanks to all.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Delighted that you like it, Hal. If you notice any bugs or funky behavior, please don't hesitate to report in the Official Bugs thread.

Many thanks,

Michael
Michael, I was looking at your web site... Tomorrow we are having the first documented live, interactive, audio and video, 2 way, Demo!! Lyle jamieson will be doing a Hollowing for us, with questions and answers... For us is a great opportunity, its not easy to bring people from the mainland...
I have been looking for someone to help us take better pictures of our pieces... Wondering if we could do a remote demo? Did I say, I'm in Maui? lol I'm writing an article for the Journal about our experience...
Figure doesn't hurt to ask.... Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I also was admiring your web site, Michael. Nice photography, but you misspelled amateur so I can't give you a perfect ten. I know, I'm cold.
There is now a Like button!! Great! Always looked for it. A great addition, when a response is not necessary but it's nice to acknowledge someone. Bill maybe you could check my website and correct my Spanglish. Aloha.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There is now a Like button!! Great! Always looked for it. A great addition, when a response is not necessary but it's nice to acknowledge someone. Bill maybe you could check my website and correct my Spanglish. Aloha.

I would, but I don't speak pineapple.

Michael, I was looking at your web site... Tomorrow we are having the first documented live, interactive, audio and video, 2 way, Demo!! Lyle jamieson will be doing a Hollowing for us, with questions and answers... For us is a great opportunity, its not easy to bring people from the mainland...
I have been looking for someone to help us take better pictures of our pieces... Wondering if we could do a remote demo? Did I say, I'm in Maui? lol I'm writing an article for the Journal about our experience...
These live web demos were pioneered by @alan Zenreich. He did the first tho I am not sure where. He also tutored Lyle , who is technically challenged. Alan hopes to spread this format across the AAW as a way to get quality demos from top notch demonstrators to more clubs and the cost of doing so will be lower .

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
These live web demos were pioneered by @alan Zenreich. He did the first tho I am not sure where. He also tutored Lyle , who is technically challenged. Alan hopes to spread this format across the AAW as a way to get quality demos from top notch demonstrators to more clubs and the cost of doing so will be lower .
Gerald, if you read my post again, I said we are the first documented interactive remote demo. There are other clubs that have done it, but did not write about it like we are. Lyle Jamieson, Joshua Friend and myself are writing an article for the journal about our experience and the equipment that we used. We had a great demo today. Well over 3 hours. Lyle donated his fee back to the club!! And yes, we are the first ones ever to write about it in the Journal. Stay tuned for the story.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Not sure who was first to do a web demo. I know Trent Bosch did a web demo in the fall of 2014.

Alan gave a great presentation at the AAW and is packaging what he has learned for AAW members to use.

I was the room assistant in one of Alan and Lauren's demonstrations in Tampa in 2013. He appeared to have the concept formulated already at that time. (I really did nothing to assist because he had everything under control.) Last year, around the time of the Pitts symposium he launched an FB group, Lucid Woodturners Group, dedicated to webnar. Unfortunately, there were too many special interests sessions going on last Thursday night and I wasn't able to go to his, but I know he has made a lot of progress since last year.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Good job on the new forum guys. It was worth the wait.

Thanks, Andy. We feel very pleased with XenForo. It is highly configurable to the users needs so we aimed for a user interface that would hopefully have a familiar look and feel ... even down to using the same color scheme. We invited some forum members to give it a test drive for a few days before going live and I think the overall impression was that the software is reasonably intuitive. From my perspective, user acceptance is the most important factor so I was very insistent that we would have a product that met met that goal. The actual rollout was a rather sudden decision without advance notice, but the timing coincided with the usual lull in activity when many members are attending the annual symposium.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Looks good. I often check in from the ForumRunner app. Is there an update for that or a different app to use?

What type of device are you using? We haven't implemented Forumrunner yet although it is on the list. I use an iPad and find that it works quite satisfactorily because XenForo is mobile device friendly.

Emiliano, that's way cool! Please, if you have the time, start a thread and tell us how you did it and how it went! At our 25th Anniversary, our chapter did a Skype chat with one of the founding members, and it was wonderful. Like the idea of a "live, interactive, audio and video, 2 way, Demo"

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I already sent Joshua Friend, our Journal editor my side of the story, along with several pictures. Lyle Jamieosn is writing his side. I believe Joshua is better qualified than me, lol, to write the final story... It will be on the Journal soon!! It was a great demo. Over 3 hours long!! We had beginners, intermediate and advance turners, as well a few professionals. Lyle had everyones attention! On our side the set up its very simple. A lap top, a good speaker, a projector connected to it. The crucial part is to have a wired ethernet internet connection. Even the fastest wifi is not good enough... We tested it...
We are really hoping more professionals can do it!! I envision a page on the AAW web site, where you can go and see who is available, topics, fees, etc... We really enjoyed Lyle. More to come.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Not sure who was first to do a web demo. I know Trent Bosch did a web demo in the fall of 2014.

Alan gave a great presentation at the AAW and is packaging what he has learned for AAW members to use.
Hockenberry,
if you read my post again, I said we are the first documented interactive remote demo. There are other clubs that have done it, but did not write about it like we are. Lyle Jamieson, Joshua Friend and myself are writing an article for the journal about our experience and the equipment that we used. We had a great demo today. Well over 3 hours. Lyle donated his fee back to the club!! And yes, we are the first ones ever to write about it in the Journal. Stay tuned for the story.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What type of device are you using? We haven't implemented Forumrunner yet although it is on the list. I use an iPad and find that it works quite satisfactorily because XenForo is mobile device friendly.
Bill,
Would like to see Forumrunner back. The interface worked well on the old forum.
Safari is okay. I appreciate all you guys are doing. Maybe once the fires are just smoking.....

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Bill,
Safari is okay. I appreciate all you guys are doing. Maybe once the fires are just smoking.....

It's on the list

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill,

I'll add that it is expensive and requires maintenance upkeep. We've already had expenditures that weren't anticipated with the new forum. We, the forum volunteers, don't have any insight into the budget allocations for the forum nor do we really know if we have an advocate voice on the board. We have the ear of our ED, Phil McDonald, but I think that we really need the ear of a representative on the board who knows our needs in depth, perhaps even an AAW Advisor, if you happen to know one. :cool:

It's not quite as simple as buying and plugging in the software. We need to make certain that security and maintenance updates are provided promptly... something that Forum Runner hasn't always done well in the past.

There is also another new and more critical need which is to have a backup system in place with an unknown price tag at this point. How important is all of this to the AAW depends to a very large degree on the total price tag. My guess is that we probably don't have more money than we can spend.

I already sent Joshua Friend, our Journal editor my side of the story, along with several pictures. Lyle Jamieosn is writing his side. I believe Joshua is better qualified than me, lol, to write the final story... It will be on the Journal soon!! It was a great demo. Over 3 hours long!! We had beginners, intermediate and advance turners, as well a few professionals. Lyle had everyones attention! On our side the set up its very simple. A lap top, a good speaker, a projector connected to it. The crucial part is to have a wired ethernet internet connection. Even the fastest wifi is not good enough... We tested it...
We are really hoping more professionals can do it!! I envision a page on the AAW web site, where you can go and see who is available, topics, fees, etc... We really enjoyed Lyle. More to come.

How fast is the wired connection you used? As all connections are not created equal, and the same is true of WiFi if wire is not high speed then the WiFi will not be also.

Michael Seufer

Administrator
Website
www.michaelseufer.com
Update on ForumRunner:

It seems that ForumRunner is no longer being developed for Xenforo. Additionally, I am not even certain it is being actively developed for any forums software.

These forums are designed to be mobile-friendly and should look and function well on tablets and mobile phones. Please let me know if you notice any anomalies on your mobile devices.

Many thanks and again I am delighted that folks are enjoying the new forums.

Best,

M.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Michael,

No disrespect to Al's viewpoint here, but I'm very pleased with the forum on my iphone and ipad. Also on my nexus tablet. I run chrome, safari and occasionally firefox (which I find slow loading and clunky but helpful in site development work). Not knowing anything about ForumRunner I don't know what I'm missing.

I just wanted to chime in again and say that I'm surprised at how few bugs have been reported during the deployment, and that I really appreciate the fast response time to every query. So thanks again everyone!

Mark

Michael Seufer

Administrator
Website
www.michaelseufer.com
Michael,

No disrespect to Al's viewpoint here, but I'm very pleased with the forum on my iphone and ipad. Also on my nexus tablet. I run chrome, safari and occasionally firefox (which I find slow loading and clunky but helpful in site development work). Not knowing anything about ForumRunner I don't know what I'm missing.

I just wanted to chime in again and say that I'm surprised at how few bugs have been reported during the deployment, and that I really appreciate the fast response time to every query. So thanks again everyone!

Mark

Absolutely delighted that the new forums are working out well for you Mark – especially with the plethora of devices and platforms you're enjoying them on.

Many thanks and don't hesitate to report any anomalies, questions, comments or concerns.

Best,

M.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't know about other devices, but I'm getting spoiled using my iPad with Safari ... it knows what I want to type after only entering only one or two letters and corrects my misspellings. The only down side is the one finger typing and my big fingers on a tiny keyboard.

Thanks, Andy. We feel very pleased with XenForo. It is highly configurable to the users needs so we aimed for a user interface that would hopefully have a familiar look and feel ... even down to using the same color scheme. We invited some forum members to give it a test drive for a few days before going live and I think the overall impression was that the software is reasonably intuitive. From my perspective, user acceptance is the most important factor so I was very insistent that we would have a product that met met that goal. The actual rollout was a rather sudden decision without advance notice, but the timing coincided with the usual lull in activity when many members are attending the annual symposium.

The only thing I feel funny about the new system is that when you try to quote a post, it is a two-step process. Also, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to enter your reply. I do like the alert, though. I only discovered it this morning.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
The only thing I feel funny about the new system is that when you try to quote a post, it is a two-step process. Also, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to enter your reply. I do like the alert, though. I only discovered it this morning.
If you are quoting just one person, click on the <reply> on the bottom right of that reply and it quotes that user and puts it in a reply box

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

The terminology that XenForo uses can be confusing. Instead of "Multiquote", you use "+ Quote" and instead of "Quote", it's now "Reply". Usually, we only want to quote a single post so the process is:
  1. Click ot tap on Reply in the post that you want to quote
  2. The screen automatically jumps to the editor box with the post already entered
  3. Type your reply
  4. Click or tap on the <POST REPLY> button
  5. Enjoy
Well, that's five steps, but it's the same number of steps as vBulletin.

"+ Quote" works the same way as MQ except that now you have greater flexibility in the order that you choose to insert them in your reply.

Andy, there's a timesaver feature. If you want to reply to a specific part of a previous post (for instance, one or two sentences in a long post), you can highlight the sentence(s), then select Reply from the little red box that pops up. Another: I often want to reply directly to specific sentences individually. That's done by highlighting then selecting +quote, highlighting the next one, then +quote. When you click reply, the different quotes will appear individually and you can insert your comments to each.

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
If you want to reply to a specific part of a previous post (f3or instance, one or two sentences in a long post, you can highlight the sentence(s), then select Reply from the little red box that pops up

Jamie, that's a great tip. I'm using it now and it's just as easy as you said. Thanks.

I didn't know about the second tip that you mentioned ... that's really handy when you want to address portions of a post separately.
I think you can also select +quotes from different people and respond in only one reply. Now ain't that nice?!? Wouldn't want to get too carried away with the idea though.:)

Back