• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1401 White Oak Crotch (13)
odie

1401 White Oak Crotch (13)

View of foot/bottom -----odie-----
Reactions: Lamar Wright
Great looking bowl Odie. Really like the color and grain pattern. Finish is perfect and your photo shot looks great. Dark background goes good with the color of the bowl. Very nice indeed! ;)

Kelly,
Nice bowl!
Did you take any special precaution with the bark inclusion?
There seems to be a little solid wood at the rim edged but very little solid wood at the bottom.

That small area of solid wood may be safe if the bowl is small enough.
I would want that one wrapped with tape before I hollowed it.

Your difficulty in turning this one may be related to bark inclusion that one side would vibrate a lot if it was turned with the three small connect areas.

Bark inclusions are dangerous since the bark alone won’t hold the wood together.
There is video on YouTube of guy trying to kill himself turning a blank with a bark inclusion.

@Lamar Wright @hockenbery

Thanks for the comments, Lamar and Al. :D

Yes, there was that possibility of the bowl splitting along the crotch bark line. I left the wall thickness fairly thick to give it a little more strength.....and, the weight of 515 grams can attest for that! The difficulty in turning wasn't related to the bark areas, but the compressed grain surrounding it. Had to do with the individual characteristics of this particular piece of wood, and the amount of compressed endgrain to contend with. I have another piece of wood from the same tree that is still seasoning.....and, look forward to making my own comparisons of the two.

Have a good day, gentlemen....... :)

-----odie-----

Media information

Album
odie's turnings
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings