• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1713 Australian White Top Burl
odie

1713 Australian White Top Burl

Finished 5/3/19, Australian White Top Burl, 1lb 2.3oz, 7 11/16" x 3 11/16". As received, block was 12% MC and only 3 months to stabilize after roughing. The many voids and bark inclusions did worry me a bit about it's stability during turning, but all turned out ok. The solid portions were very dense and difficult to get a clean cut without need for much sanding. -----odie-----
Love it Odie! Really fine, fine as usual, and your signature fine detailing always impresses.

So what's the deal with the Z10? Am I just "dense"? :)

Hello Mark, and thank you for the comment and rating......appreciated. :D

Etsy has requested shop owners to include something in photos that give an indication of size......so, I chose to use some scrabble pieces for that.....;)

Beautiful wood and great design. I have a piece of the same type of eucalyptus, but it was called white gum eucalyptus. I finally found a site that explained things:

(Eucalyptus Obliqua ) White Top is also known as Stringy-bark or in yet another terminology, Eucalyptus Gum Bark Resin. Other names are Blue Gum, Eucalyptus, Fever Tree, Gum Tree, Australian Fever Tree, Tasmanian Blue Gum, Mallee, Stringy Bark Tree. This beautiful wood is from Australia, (most Eucalyptus is) it is different from the other Australian burls in that it doesn't have the dense eye patterns. This burl tends to be off white with numerous voids.

@Bill Boehme Hello Bill, thanks for the comment and rating, too. :D

Stringy-bark is a good descriptive name for this wood. The intertwining fingers that probably give it this name are very apparent on the next photo showing the bottom of this bowl. It's a very unusual wood, and I enjoyed turning it......hope to get some more of this. -----odie-----

Hi Odie, Beautiful piece my friend! I love the inclusions and the finish of the piece. Reminds me of a piece of cherry burl that you gave me that I'm working on now.....will be posting it soon. Beautiful craftsmanship as always.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 5 ratings

Image metadata

Device