• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2122 Quilted Maple.
odie

2122 Quilted Maple.

Completed on 1/16/23 and sold for $99 on 2/1/23, 6 3/8" x 1 13/16", 4.2 oz. Original block was 12% MC, and after roughing, it took a total of 4 months to stabilize. Sanded to 600gt, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buffed. Great quilt figure, and nice chatoyance in this one. Sold to a friend who is a miniature woodturner whom I give some of my exotic wood cut-off corner pieces to.

-----odie-----
Very nice Odie. Do you have challenges getting a clean cut with this quilted grain??

Hi Russ......thanks :)

That beautiful distinctive swirly grain pattern presents some circumstances you don't run into with any other kind of grain patterns. Yes, quilted grain represents some very difficult turning because no matter how you mount it, you're going to be cutting directly into end grain type circumstances on the portions that are the most difficult to get a clean cut as it is. The only way to get a decent cut, is to refine your techniques and presentation, choices of tools.....and, very sharp edges!......but, I know you knew all that already! :)

-----odie-----

Very nice Odie. Do you have challenges getting a clean cut with this quilted grain??
Howdy Russ......I'm currently working on another quilted maple bowl, and while it's fresh on my mind, here are a couple more comments:

Other than what has already been mentioned, there is some problematic surface left after the tool work is done. These small but unacceptable areas appear "hair-like" for a better term to describe them. They must be dealt with with wen using the first, or coarsest grit of sandpaper you start with. It is difficult to remove them while the bowl is spinning on the lathe, and the best way to handle it, is to use fresh sandpaper in a handheld random orbit fashion. The better the tool work, the smaller these difficult areas are....and, subsequently the easier they are to deal with.

-----odie-----

Odie, most of my experiences are with edge grain being one of those Segmenters, lol! The difference between “Figured” and “Quilted” manifests itself in the segmented world as well. Your processes in dealing with the quilted are how I try to deal with it as well. There is always something to deal with when using the Quilted version!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device