• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2203 Cocobolo.
odie

2203 Cocobolo.

Finished on 3/8/2023 and sold on 4/4/2023, original block was 18% MC, and after roughing/anchorseal the roughed bowl took a total of 12 months to stabilize. 5 1/2" x 3", 12.2 oz, sanded to 1500x, Danish oil natural, Beall 3-step buff. Cocobolo is becoming very inconsistently available these days, and perhaps it should be so. All trees are living things, and when they expire, their wood should be available for harvesting. The problem is man's greed, I suppose.....that needs to be under control in an effective manner.

-----odie-----
Sustainability: Cocobolo is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood (though finished items under 10 kilograms are exempted). It is also listed on the IUCN Red List as vulnerable due to a population reduction of over 20% in the past three generations, caused by a decline in its natural range, and exploitation.

One of my favorites to date.

One of my favorites to date.
Great looking wood and execution by a master artist.

Thank you, gentlemen...... :)

There are times when I have to rein in the tendency to load up on the turned "details".....and, just let the wood speak for me......aka: "the K.I.S.S. principle". Considering your comments, I think I may have succeeded in this quest with the Cocobolo bowl! :)

-----odie-----

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata