• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
A Thief of Time
M

A Thief of Time

I made this after seeing the movie with the same title. The movie is based on a book by Tony Hillerman. 8" diameter, 4" tall, made from mahogany with Kokopelli burned in.
beautiful wood ... perfect balance to the shape ... what great curves you have!

on a shape like this, how much time do you spend with the finish on the inside?

This wood was (I believe) over kiln dried. When turning it was more dust than shavings that came off, and the tearout was awful. As a result of the horrible tearout, I did not want to kill myself trying to sand to a perfect finish inside, so I burned it with a torch. It turned out great. After scorching it I immediately put walnut oil inside letting the residual heat help it absorb. If you rub the inside now, there is no residual soot.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Molly Winton
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device