• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
AAW Forum contest entry footed bowl
B

AAW Forum contest entry footed bowl

AAW Forum contest entry
Petal Bowl

Flower petal bowl with carved feet representing the sepals of a flower. This one was my first try at airbrushing the dye (5 different colors) which worked pretty good, a lot less messy than applying by hand. Went over to Jerry Bennett
Bill, this is such a beautiful thing. I have tried creating some flowers using staved segmented techniques but after seeing this I will just go back to the drawing board. What a lovely piece of art!

This is a wonderfull piece. Very beautiful. Are the petals multiple pieces or a single piece that is carved?

Bill,

What a piece! I like it! To me maple burl would stand on its own for the figure. You chose to add color. Why use the maple burl if you are going to color? Was there a reason to start with, or was this just the result of working the material?

I've been looking at adding color. If adding color to a burl type wood gets these results, I think there will be a lot of figured wood getting colored.

John

John,
Glad you like the piece. I think the burl is even more interesting with a little color to highlight the grain. When blending color like I did and using a transparent water dye, you need a light wood to start with. If the wood was dark the colors just wouldn

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Tilson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename