• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
AAW January 2011 Contest
Alan Carter

AAW January 2011 Contest

This is my 2nd entry for the January contest. It's called "Pins and Needles". The side supports are made from several layers of veneer glued over a form and cut to shape. The black stone in the base is finely graded coal made for model railroading.

The piece is made from jarrah, sycamore, jatoba, maple, and brass pins. It's 11"Hx11"Wx7"D. C&C welcome.
wow, my eyes caught this in the thumbnails..how elegant..I see a very nifty , unusual bottom finial, which is an eye stopper. What grace this piece has.

Very cool looking. Is it secure in the stand? Meaning... from this pic almost looks as though it could swing/rock in the pins it's sitting on which would also look very cool. Nice work

Thanks for the compliments. The piece is secure and doesn't swing. The bottom of the finial sits inside the small cup in the base so it can't move more than a 1/8" or so.

I spend all day in my shop working on what I think will be a great looking suspended form......then I come into this gallery and see you piece. My jaw has dropped and I am shaking my head in awe. WOW!!! Each time you post your latest creation that seems to happen to me. All I know is I have a long, long, long ways to go. Superb work sir. I rate this at least a 12.

Thanks guys. Dick, if this is a 12, that's 2 better than Bo Dereck. I don't know about that, but thank you. You're doing some pretty nice work yourself, so keep it up. And don't let your jaw drop so far.

That's another great piece. Your planning skills are special. Thanks for sharing

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Carter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device