• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
AAW March 2011 Contest
Rick Crawford

AAW March 2011 Contest

Study in Black and White. 11.5"H x 8.5"W x 5.5"D. Live oak, turned, textured, scorched while slowly turning on the lathe, microwaved, tall piece bleached, small piece dyed with leather dye, and painted with acrylic gold paint. The tall piece is fixed to the dyed slate slab, making it static, while the black piece is free to rotate. I've been working on this idea for awhile, took the opportunity to make it for the AAW March 2011 contest. These were both completely turned green, including the texturing and deep grooving, which had to be done quickly due to the movement of the wood as the stresses were relieved. I really like how the forms are moving in reaction to the green turning and microwaving process. I also like the contrasts of color and static vs. dynamic in the pieces.

I took this to Art Fiesta in New Smyrna Beach, Fl, this past weekend, and got Second Place in the Wood category for it. I didn't expect that, but am happy for it!

C&C's are always welcome.
Hi Donna, thanks! I brought the piece to the show but hadn't really intended to show it, but then that little voice said "do it", so I did, and the rest is history!

Smiles,
Rick

Hi Rick,
Nice stuff.
I thought the bleached piece, was a piece of old rope when I first looked at it. LOL I forgot about the bleached contest.
Good luck,
Jim

Hi Betty,
I owe a bit of thanks to you for your bleaching suggestions when we talked after Sharon Doughtie's presentation in Hartford. Thanks for that, and your kind comment!

Smiles,
Rick

Hi Rick,
Congrats on the award. Nicely done. As you know, I too like to mount wood sculptures on black slate.

Hi Andy, I think I also owe you a bit of thanks for the dyed black slate idea, as I think it was you that introduced me to it. Thank you for that, as well as your comment! You can't tell in this photo, but the slate has a wonderful figure flow to it, so I placed the bleached piece near the beginning of the flow direction to become part of that visual element. The flow goes from left to right, and radiates outward as it goes. Since slate is a sedimentary rock, that means the pattern was either wind or water driven...Ma Nature having a say in even the base of the piece.

Smiles,
Rick

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Rick Crawford
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings