• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
All You Need is Love v2
Michael Anderson

All You Need is Love v2

White Oak (fumed and charred), Steel, Copper. 14.5"h x 6.5"w. This is the second lathe-turned heart I’ve made. Originally I hadn’t planned on embellishing the heart; however, some cracks developed during the drying process and I needed to slightly change plans. So, I decided to accentuate the cracks with fire, and then fume the White Oak with ammonia to give it a complementary aged appearance. I wanted the heart to float above the base, so I twisted three 10g wires together, two steel and one copper. The twisted wire is strong enough to not bend, but still flexible enough to be fun.
Some alternative views showing the backside, bowl, and quartersawn grain details:

nsfSAjN.jpeg

VFkYAsp.jpeg

bVMb3Mf.jpeg

Extremely well done. I'm very impressed with the entire work, but somehow the wire itself really gets my attention. :)

somehow the wire itself really gets my attention
Thank you very much, Mark! I had a double wire twist initially, but I wanted to make it longer, so I made a triple twist to get as long as I could without it being too floppy. Plus, the copper adds a nice color splash when there’s more silver surrounding it :)

Very nice job of saving the heart with embellishment and also outstanding photography work. I have twisted 10 gauge copper wires together so your description gave me a better perception of the large size of this piece.

Another very interesting piece Michael. I really like the charred finish on part of the heart/base. The twisted wire really sets the piece apart and as Mark mentioned it really gets your attention. Having the metal wire where you expect thin wood catches your eye right away.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Bill and Barry! It’s quite a hefty piece! The steel and copper wire work hardened after twisting, so the 10g wire does its support job pretty well. It’s fun to give the heart a flick when you walk by, too.

Another beauty Michael! The char and the fuming are a great mix color wise. I like the twist between the heart and the base as well re: the char! The copper wire add is a great color connection between the two wooden features. This turned (pun) out great!!

Thanks a lot, Vince and Russ!

write an article for the woodturner magazine
Someone get Josh Friend on the phone! ;)

I like the twist between the heart and the base as well re: the char!
Thank Russ, I'm glad you noticed that. I originally had the grain lined up in the same plane, but then I thought it would be more interesting to offset the base 45 degrees. I consulted my boss (my wife!), and asked her which orientation she like better--she preferred the offset, which solidified the decision. She's usually my go to if I'm unsure about something; or if I'm about to try something dumb, she usually talks me down haha.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device