• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Balance
Robbie Graham

Balance

Wood: Rhododendron
Height: 200mm (8")
Texture: Pyrography and painted

I turned this out of a piece of wet Rhododendron to about 2mm thick and let it dry before doing the pyrography. It has a rounded bottom, which makes it rock if bumped, hence the name Balance.
The photo isn't the best sorry. I found that no mater what light source I used the pale wood over exposed and if I set the exposure for the bottom part of the vessel the picture came out too dark!??

Comments and critique welcome
very nice, i like your color choice

Very nice. I like the pattern and coloring. Curious, is the pattern done with pyrography and then colored? How did you do the coloring? I really like this piece!

Hi Hal,
Yes the pattern is done with pyrography then coloured with iridescent paints using a small brush. The black is just pyrography with no paint but I usually use paint to enhance the black.
Thanks for taking time to comment.
Cheers, Robbie

Hi Robbie I really like the Vessel,the colors and it looks like a different texture, if it is how did you do it. Very Striking!! Mark

Thanks Mark,
The textures are all the same but the light reflecting off the different colours probably do that.
Robbie

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata