• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bewdy Burl
This oblong Coolibah Burl was better suited as an elliptical turning than a mill blank so my wife Alison suggested I turn the burl chunk on the Oval Device. Finished with Yorkshire Grit and wax. The overall finished size is 21" X 14" X 3.25" with an elliptical bowl size of 12" X 8" X 1.5" and 3 carved feet. This was turned using the Vicmarc VOD 300 on the outboard side of the lathe. This piece was a bit of a challenge as the VOD manual recommends the total weight of the chuck or faceplate with jigs and the workpiece be under 5kg, the finished piece weighs 5.1 kg
Wow. So nice. Do you turn the ellipse on a lathe?! I did not know this was even possible.

Holy smokes that is so cool. I love the finished forms. Thank you for sharing. I wend to check out some YouTube videos on the use of VOD 300. Amazing device. Looking back at your bewdy burl bowl one would love to have a go at this chuck!

Holy smokes that is so cool. I love the finished forms. Thank you for sharing. I wend to check out some YouTube videos on the use of VOD 300. Amazing device. Looking back at your bewdy burl bowl one would love to have a go at this chuck!
thank you Michael, the VOD is a very well built device, tricky to learn how to use but well worth the time

This is seriously beautiful.

I have a 13" wide mallee burl that resembles this, you're inspiring me to do something with it. I won't be able to do it elliptical but I could still go roundyroundy.

Do you have a pic of the underside?

This is seriously beautiful.

I have a 13" wide mallee burl that resembles this, you're inspiring me to do something with it. I won't be able to do it elliptical but I could still go roundyroundy.

Do you have a pic of the underside?
Thank you Matt, this one has 3 carved feet due to the burl shape I couldn't turn a foot without loosing too much wood, I will try to paste a pic. A round off center bowl would look just as awesome. try this link to my instagram post as I cant seem to post a pic.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0sZf3oJnEk/?img_index=1

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Roberts
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata