• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Big Leaf Maple Burl Hollow Form
KurtB

Big Leaf Maple Burl Hollow Form

This piece is 9"H x 8"D and was turned to a wall thickness of .25". The finish is Danish Oil and buffed. I had a section of the log with three visible piths, and after I cut them away, this was what was left. I didn't expect to find such a beautiful grain.

Hollowed with my new Kelton tools, a Christmas present from my wife. Turned green, it has warped and rippled quite a bit. Comments and critiques are welcome.
Thank you Joe, for your comments. You must have gotten up early!

Thanks, Michael. I got an email from a member of the club in Hot Springs, Arkansas that he had a friend that lived near me with a couple of trees down. He was planning on burning them, and when we went to get them, they were actually in the burn pile with the outsides charred. We cut them into sections and brought them home. Who knew that one of them would look like this.:D

very nice

Charlie,
Thanks very much!
Kurt

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
KurtB
Date added
View count
Comment count