• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Sand Beach Spirit Vessel
John Van Domelen

Black Sand Beach Spirit Vessel

Awhile back on another forum there was a thread on the current eruption of Kilauea of the Big Island of Hawaii. This had me digging threough old vacation photos. I tripped across some pics from a secluded black sand beach in the Puna district. My travel companions and I almost had this beach to ourselves. It is a magical place, people leave offerings in niches in the cliff behind the beach and young palms have been planted in the area. Nature owns this beach as the tides and waves were magnificent when we were there. A humbling experience.

This piece I will keep to remind me of that trip and that particular place that I hope to get back to some day.

Turned, carved, ebonized black Tupelo.

After I got him all done, I looked at the photo and realized that I must not have had my Trent Bosch carving stand clamped exactly straight, the spirit face is a little off axis.

About 7 inches tall.
very nice

John, this is an excellent example of how many different techniques come together as one! Excellent!

Turning of the Week, 4-4-11
AAW Homepage Photo

John, this is an outstanding piece as I have told you previously. Congratulations on the front page - well deserved. Your burning, carving, form and everything about this piece is right on. Looks like a volcanic eruption for sure. Great work John!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Van Domelen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename