• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Walnut - 389
P

Black Walnut - 389

First southwest style form. 6" wide x 4 1/2" tall, approx. 3/16" wall thickness. Finished with several coats of danish oil.
This is a new form for you ??? Very nice ... are you free-hand hollowing or using a system?

Thanks, -e-. Yes, this is a new form for me. I bought the Jamieson system at the symposium. I tried some free-hand hollowing in the past and like using a system much better - especially for larger forms.

i started hollowing using the jamieson system too ... it really helped me keep from hurting my poor neck. i've made modifications as needed.

i added john jordans boring bars to my system; i love his tapered tips. the jamieson tip was too large for small vessels or small openings. john also has a smaller set that can be used with the d-bar using an adaptor.

additionally, packard has some boring tips that fit directly into the bar without using the jamieson-tip.

moreover, i modified my secondary tool rest so it swivels, which gives more flexibility. I could reach deeper curves without having to switch to a hooker.

However, Pam, my 1st vessel was given to the dog to play with! Your accomplishment is very impressive. Was the walnut green?

ps: what camera are you using for your pictures?

Thanks for the all the info, -e-. I'll have to look at John Jordan's tools. I'm finding already that the smallest opening I can achieve is larger than 1" and I prefer smaller than that.
The walnut was felled over a year ago and sat outside in log form for about 8 months. I got my hands on it and roughed it out into bowls and cylinders and it's been in my basement drying for about 3 months. There's been very little movement in this finished piece.
My camera is a 2.1 megapixel Toshiba - not good for print photos, but it does what I need for posting pictures to the internet. Cheap and uncomplicated - just the way I like it :) I use Microsoft Picture It! Express to crop the photos and I only make minor adjustments for brightness and contrast. So far, it's all working pretty well.

Nice shape Pam. I can relate to that shape. The Jamieson system was a great help for me for hollow vessels. I couldn't hang on to the Dennis Stewart style tool for more than five minutes without my hand going to sleep because of Carpol Tunnel Syndrome. My loss rate was about 50%. I have since taken care of that. I also use the Al Basham style tools for smaller (8 in. or smaller dia.) vessels. See my web site under tools and techniques.

I also made my secondary tool rest swivel, a must for getting under long shoulders. I made the vertical support a large V shape to add more support the cross bar on the secondary tool rest. I need to take a photo of it and post it on my site.

Paul

Pam, I didn't realize this was you for some reason until -e- said so. Great to see you hollowing, too. (misery loves company). Its a lot of fun, no? And not having to finish the interior saves some time. I didn't realize how handy collars with small openings are until I couldn't poke my finger around inside anymore.

I tried exactly two forms with a hand held system, the Kelton stuff, and then went to their torque arrested system. Night and day.

Very pretty piece of walnut. I bet you wanted to slice the top off and make a box, didn't you?

Thanks, Paul. I'll take a look at your site when I get some free time.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I have to work on collars - this piece you can get your fingers into and as far as I can reach in, it's clean and smooth, but HWMBO can reach a little further and feels a ridge. Oh well, can't win them all. This is from a huge load of walnut and I have about 30 box blanks drying, so working on something big and different is a nice change. I suppose I'll have to try making a really big box just for the heck of it :)) Thanks.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
pjreilly
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename