• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bokote Bowl
Don Leydens

Bokote Bowl

This was turned from a piece of Bokote. I was going for a ceremonial type look that would use the whole piece of wood. It's reversible and the first photo shows the bowl section in 24K gold leaf. The other photo shows the bowl in plain wood with a little texturing. 7" dia. X 4" tall. Finished with diluted shellac and then waxed. Hope this doesn't come across as too over-the-top. Any comments are more than welcome.
Thanks for looking, Don L.
Thanks George! It's a lot like cocobolo. Really hard, heavy and dense, but works well.
Don L.

Hi Don

Nice piece.

Last year I did a bowl similar in form to the top bowl of two. It was I believe out of Red Wood (not redwood from the famous forests)and has thick walls and bottom. There has been no cracking in this first year . I am reluctant to sell it because of this fear. What is your experience with the thick walled pieces?

Wayne

Thanks Wayne!
My experience has been the thicker the better regarding cracks. It's the thin stuff I worry about. I use a product called "Woodturners Choice" to help dry the wood and have had fantastic results with it. I saturate the piece then let it dry. I've had almost no cracks and limited warping using it. Dries wood really fast also. PM me for more info if you like.
Thanks again, Don L.

Very nice Don. The gold leaf really looks good against the bocote. It must be the pictures, because they don't look like the same piece. Interesting. Also, is the "top" concave and rise up to the gold center? This is a unique piece.

Hi Hal! Yes, it's the same piece (the grain is just all over the place) and the rim rises up to the gold leaf center. Thanks for asking, Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename