• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Burl of Benevolence
Burl of Benevolence was exhibited at the Lubeznik Center for the Arts in Michigan City, Indiana in April 2011.

The wood is an evergreen Coast Live Oak burl which was given to me by a friend who lives in a steep canyon near the Getty Museum.

The 3" x 6" x 6" block base is the same wood unfinished.
Is the Coast Live Oak a real tree like the southern live oak or more of a shrub?

The bowl looks good sitting on the block. Nice work.

Thank you, Wayne. There are at least eight oaks in California that are considered trees including Coast Live Oak. Though not as massive as the giant Valley Oak, Coast Live Oak can be eighty feet tall with a trunk 10-12 feet in diameter. It can also hybridize with some scrub oaks which complicates identification.

Yes, some of these Live Oaks can be shrub-like.

Robert this is one of my favorite pieces in the exhibit. You can not tell how thin it is in the picture. I looks great in person. I posted most of the pieces on my FB page and yours is a favorite. I hope it sells for you. There were about 100-150 people at the opening night

Thanks a million, Jeff. I'm really happy to read your comment and I'm glad there was such a great turnout at the opening. I only wish I could have been there as I love art openings.

The top is a very consistent 1/16" and the piece weighs less than four ounces.
For some reason I was compelled to hollow the block from the bottom which is not visible when displayed.

Finally, though I've made about a dozen Ellsworth type bent tools, I still had to make a special bent tool for hollowing inside the top of this piece.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Manning
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device