• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Burl on a Bridge
Robert Woodward

Burl on a Bridge

Maple burl on a Koa bridge with a African Blackwood post
Thanks for asking. It was an interesting and fun project. I loved the back side of this burl and wanted to save it intact. My challenge was how to mount it without using a chuck or face plate as that would damage the burl. I built a 3/4" plywood box that the burl would fit in, deep enough so that it was flush with the face. I then added another layer of plywood to the back to mount a large face plate on. I lined the box with a sheet of plastic, wrapped the back side of the burl with shrink wrap, and used spray foam to hold the burl in place. While turning, I had to keep the rpm's right at 413 as anything above or below that speed and it would not spin flat. Here are some pictures of it on the lathe.

This is one of the best examples of "determination" I have seen. Who says it can't be done? Excellence and perfection, Robert!

That is unreal. I’m a carpenter and the only way I could think of doing it was spray foam, but did not think it would have enough integrity. Thank you so much for showing us. Sometimes people ( me) just overthink things and you just have to try it and make mistakes to get results. I had eliminated that exact process in my head without giving it a chance. Beautiful piece.

@Glenn Lefley Thanks Gleen, One thing you need to do is start the lathe up slow and do not stand in the line of fire. Also make sure the foam is all set up, not just on the outside. Good luck

Very nice piece and thank you for allowing us into your mind and for the nice pictures of the process. Big B

Excellent piece and thanks for the tutorial on how you hold it. I also have some burl caps I want to turn similar to yours, but was not sure just how to hold it. I thought of rigid foam, but not the box, which is essential to mounting a faceplate.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Woodward
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device