• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Butterfly for Flo
Don Leydens

Butterfly for Flo

This is kind of a sad story, but here it goes. While going through chemo I became friends with a woman named Flo. She went through the whole cancer process and unfortunately, it came back and is now terminal. She knows it. The other day at the clinic she came up to me and asked me to make a bowl for her with a big blue butterfly on it for her best friend Kathy. They both LOVE blue butterflies. She said that every time her friend looks at the bowl it will be a signal that she is looking down from heaven and thinking of her.
This is what I came up with and I sure hope they both like it.
It's maple with the butterfly in markers and some texturing. It's 8" dia. and finished with tung oil and Bealle buffed. The bark inclusion was purposely positioned so it looks like a resting place (branch) for the butterfly.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Thanks so much folks. This was truly a special piece. I said yes, I'll do the bowl before I had a clue as to how I was going to make the butterfly, so I'm glad it turned out OK.
Thanks again, Don L.

Don the bowl is beautiful but I liked the story even more. Could you explain the coloring process a little more?

Thank you Jim!

Larry - I put the outline on the bowl with carbon paper and filled it in with Mark It markers from Bic. The tung oil was applied gently with a small brush. Wiping it brings off too much color. After a few coats, it's OK to buff. Hope this helps.
Thanks for asking, Don L.

Don, I've been under the weather for a while and missed this post. You did an excellent job on the butterfly & the bowl and waht a fantastic gesture. Well done

Thanks Tom and Lou!
Flo got the bowl and loved it. Said she expects a lot of crying when she gives it to Kathy. Made my day!
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata