• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Carved and dyed Maple vessel
Larry Zarra

Carved and dyed Maple vessel

I turned this vessel from a freshly cut log of soft maple. Then I carved the facets by hand with a very sharp gouge. The purpose was to get a feel for carving on an end-grain vessel while being really responsive to reading the grain direction. I also dyed the vessel with a black leather dye. After the vessel was air dried for a few weeks I sanded the base flat around the previously turned concave base so that it would sit flat, and then just applied a bit of dye where sanded. Maybe a half day all in on timing. Vessel is 7.5" tall and has a maximum diameter of 5.25".
Very attractive work. Reminds me of Max Brosi's pieces a bit (a compliment). Your carving is very crisp and clean, and the dye really sets everything off. Great job.

Very nicely done Larry! I admire the crispness of your carving. Could you please expand a little on "being really responsive to reading the grain direction" ?

Very attractive work. Reminds me of Max Brosi's pieces a bit (a compliment). Your carving is very crisp and clean, and the dye really sets everything off. Great job.
I did take a class with Max 1.5 years ago with the intent of having someone who would challenge me to create forms that are very different from what I usually turn. Working with Max was successful for me because it did get me making different shapes that I like. Another big take away for me was learning some intricacies of carving on end-grain vessels without any tear-out. I am becoming very fond of the tactile effect of this type of carved texture, and will continue down this path some.

Very nicely done Larry! I admire the crispness of your carving. Could you please expand a little on "being really responsive to reading the grain direction" ?
I have turned lots of side-grain vessels but only recently started turning more end-grain vessels. When you look at an end-grain vessel on end, say from the tailstock view, the grain defined by growth rings is essentially parallel to the ways, or axis of the lathe. The carving is done normal to that axis, or 90 degrees from grain alignment. So, if I am carving the vessel from the same location I stand at while turning, using the lathe as a holding device, half of the time I would be carving with the grain, and half the time I would be carving against the grain. Carving against the grain, even with a really sharp gouge, will result in some tear-out in the carved facet. To carve with the grain, I would either have to spend half my time working from the back of the lathe, or flipping the vessel 180 degrees. For me, being responsive is knowing when I am carving down-hill and when to reorient the vessel to avoid tear-out. I wind up flipping the vessel 180 degrees numerous times while carving to assure that I'm carving with the grain. Hope this helps.

being responsive is knowing when I am carving down-hill and when to reorient the vessel to avoid tear-out. I wind up flipping the vessel 180 degrees numerous times while carving to assure that I'm carving with the grain.
Yes Larry that does help confirm some of what I am learning in my carving/texturing. My knowledge of grain orientation has definitely increased since I started hand carving. Thanks! I appreciate your input.
I did purchase a carvers vise so I can carve off the lathe which makes working from different sides very simple.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Larry Zarra
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device