• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
carved cherry vase
john lucas

carved cherry vase

I finally finished this vase. I replaced the gold Rub-n-buff with gold leaf. It looks a lot better. There are still a lot of things I would do if I do it again.

Because of the way I recessed the carved part it makes it look like it has a second foot to stand on. At least from this angle. I think I would eliminate the real foot.

I'm not happy with the texture I chose for the gold leaf portion. I think it needs to be quite different from the other texture. I used the same dremel engraver but I put a fine point on it to give the gold area a finer detail. I don't like it but the wood is too thin at this point to go back and sand it off to start over.

The outside I'm fairly pleased with, but I carved it with a rotary carver and didn't have as much control over the shapes as I would have with a hand held carving tool. I'll have to practice more with my gouge to achieve these kinds of cuts. It's too easy to get tearout so I was afraid to use it.
This is an interesting piece but I can't see any gold leaf on it. Can you perhaps add more pictures so we can see where the gold leaf is? Wait, or is the white vertical stripe gold leaf?

John, I think this very nice. I do wonder if you left the real foot off if it would that look better. However I also think that this piece may look much better seeing the real thing than it does in the photograph not that the photograph is not good, it is.
While there maybe minor flaws that you pointed out I think over all considering the amount of work and skill needed to do a piece like this I would have to give it a very good rating.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename