• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cedar Splash
N

Cedar Splash

Hi Norm, it was a bit tricky to turn, just had to make sure I did things in the right order.
Bob, called it that because it reminded me of a slow-mo photo of somthing droping into a pool of liquid

Very appropriately titled!

POD 12-07-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Gorgeous piece! Could you tell us more about it? (Size, methods used) Is this a sculptural piece or for a large candle?

I have a lot of Yew available and this might be a neat project to try.

thank you all for your complementry comments about Cedar Splash
It is not a bowl or vase as it has no base the hole in the center is all the way through.
It's Art,a piece to look at, "eye candy", it is about 16" across at the widest piont, 6" dia at the base, the hole through the middle is 31/2"dia.
To turn it I started with a small F/P on the base end, roughed out the top end shape and the stem. Then cut a tenon in the top about 1" deep into the stem area. Remove the F/P and mount it on the chuck useing the tenon inside the top, turn the underneath of the overhanging parts & blend in where it meets the top of the stem. Finish turn this area and sand.
Drill out the middle all the way through. remove the waste wood from the lower part of the stem. When you shape the stem leave it a little long right at the bottom by about 1/4".
Next make a jam chuck to fit the bottom (the grove the bottom fits into only needs to be 1/8" deep) and glue it onto the base.
Remount on the lathe and turn away the waste wood from the top part of the inside of the stem. Blend into the lower part of the stem which was finished before.
Sand inside and out. Cut the piece from the jam chuck, thats where you lose that extra 1/4" on the bottom.
I did find that it was better to sand the overhanging part with the lathe off.
some sanding was done off the lathe.
I think that's about it.
Nigel

I realy like this one, its got me thinking on how you did it and not "just another preety thing":D
joeP from Denmark

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
NBHowe
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata