• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Creekside
billclark

Creekside

Creekside is the latest in my nature series. Birds are a favorite subject of mine which complements my birding hobby. Each piece in this series displays a further refinement of the subjects as I become more familiar with the use of Faber-Castell Polychromos colored oil pencils. The birds and grasses were outlined by pyrography and the dark green color on the base and lid was airbrushed. The piece is 7 1/4” tall and was made from maple.
This is lovely Bill! Did you use the same texturing technique for the background as the piece you posted in September? It looks similar but more subtle/ refined.

Beautiful. Looks very Asian

Do you use the pencils dry on your wood surface, or do you work the color with a solvent of some kind? The color saturation is really nice and it looks like you can get excellent control over your blends. I love my Prismacolor pencils but they don't always lay down as smoothly as I'd like on surfaces with any kind of texture. What are you top-coating with?

I use the pencils dry. The surface under the pencils was not textured. The entire piece was sealed with Krylon Matte Finsh spray. One coat only over the pencil areas to prevent loss of color density.

I use the pencils dry. The surface under the pencils was not textured. The entire piece was sealed with Krylon Matte Finsh spray. One coat only over the pencil areas to prevent loss of color density.
Thanks for the info. I visited the art store yesterday and did a bit of scribbling with those Polychromos pencils. They're pretty nice. I need to come to terms with spray finishes. Since I mostly make functional pieces my comfort zone is oil or oil varnish.
And now I want to know how you did the texturing just in those selected areas without dinging up the drawn elements. So many questions :>)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename