• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Curly Maple Box Open
George Guadiane

Curly Maple Box Open

The next ones are going to be a little thicker at the buyer's request.
The box is:

diameter: 5 7/8 inches
Height: 2 1/4 inches
400 oil sanded burnished bee's wax finish
[b]As Always, Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome[/b]
And I CAN handle the truth!
Nice work. :cool2:

What steps did you take to keep these from possibly going oval, as a bowl of this size might?

I have stayed with making smaller diameter boxes from kiln dryed wood and dense exotics, and Mesquite, as I hate to do the rough turn, finish turn later dance.

Any tricks to keeping them stable?

Thanks,
I started with kiln dried wood. I told him that weather might effect them. There will be movement, but I tried to make both halves the same general thickness, and since they are turned from the same piece of wood, motion, in general should be kind of uniform - so if one goes oval, the other one should, and in a similar fashion.
I would prefer to work with end grain up, but KD pieces of that dimension are hard to come by.
As to the future???
I am going to make the next ones thicker walled, and I may have to have a looser fit, in case the shifting is a problem.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename