• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dawn
C

Dawn

Curly maple on Copper 21 3/8" x 43 1/8" x 2 7/8".
The metal on the background is applied using a cold metal spraying technique
I would have enjoyed watching you turn this ..... from a safe distance !!! :p
Nice clean cuts, sanding & finish. Great first post to the Gallery, Craig.

Unfamiliar with the cold metal spraying technique ..... any additional info?

I would have enjoyed watching you turn this ..... from a safe distance !!! :p
Nice clean cuts, sanding & finish. Great first post to the Gallery, Craig.

Unfamiliar with the cold metal spraying technique ..... any additional info?
Thanks Tom
The metals come in a powdered form and are mixed with a resin so they can be sprayed on.
Occasionally I will stipple accents on some of the wall sculptures using the same stuff.

Very striking piece! Well done!

was there a specific inspiration for your decision to cut it into three pieces? Those straight edges running through are a pleasant and fascinating addition. (subtraction?). The gaps are very well measured. If you're willing, I'd be interested in hearing about your thought process on the divisions/edges...

Very striking piece! Well done!

was there a specific inspiration for your decision to cut it into three pieces? Those straight edges running through are a pleasant and fascinating addition. (subtraction?). The gaps are very well measured. If you're willing, I'd be interested in hearing about your thought process on the divisions/edges...
John
The inspiration for arranging my wall sculptures into polyptychs came from my job sending me to Salt Lake City.
From the plane window I looked down and saw plots of land and crop circles. That trip inspired the entire concept for the wall sculptures. That was about 15 years ago, It has only been in the last 5 years that I have started playing with breaking up the pieces with angles.
Let me know if this helps and if you have any other questions

Outstanding piece Craig! Does the Maple float over the background? It’s hard to look away from!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Craig Kassan
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename