• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dragon Fly Bowl
Don Leydens

Dragon Fly Bowl

This is from a Cherry branch a friend gave me. He saw what looked like a "leaf" pattern in the cross section of wood and wanted to know if I could do anything with it. Well, after cutting off the waste wood it looked like a dragon fly (on the left side)(to me). So, this one is for him. Hope you guys get a kick out of it. Nothing added at all, just wood. It's 6" dia. and finished with Tung Oil and Beall buffed.
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Don that is something. I also thought it was burned. How did you keep it from not cracking?? When I do end grain I have all kinds of problems with cracking.

Thank you Kieth!!

Lou - I just plain got lucky on this one. I had another one that cracked clean through. I put a few damp paper towels on the top and bottom of the bowl and put it in a sealed plastic bag for a few days and the crack closed up completely. I CA glued it and so far, it's completely closed. You can still still it if you look hard, but it is functionally fine. Can't sell it, but this is about the only way I ever get to keep my own work.
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata