• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Elm Hollow Form
Steve Brisco

Elm Hollow Form

7”X4.5”X3.25”. Turned, carved and hollowed. Finished with walnut oil after a light buffing with a scotch bright pad
Very nice...I had been thinking about turning something and then carving the surface. Now you have given me an excellent example of what to strive for. Wow!

@Steve Brisco Right nowI have a plethora of Dremel accessories and some cheap palm chisels...could you give me recommendations on where to start with a tool set to carve on turned forms? Do you use a mallet and full size carving chisels or...? Thank you!

@Karl Koch
It’s had to tell you where to start regarding the tools. You first need to determine what type of carving you want to do, i.e. are you going to carve intricate details or large sweeping curves? Sounds like you have the tools already from your comments above.

My suggestion is to find a club where you can connect with other carvers or take a class from a well respected carver. They can help you refine your skills based on what you want to carve, and make tool recommendations. As for me, I use full size tools, just a preference. As for the mallet, it depends on what I’m carving that determines if I use one or not.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Steve Brisco
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device