• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Eye of the Beholder
Michael Anderson

Eye of the Beholder

Black Locust egg with White Oak stand. The egg was turned to a specific height/diameter ratio (1.34), which was also used to dictate the size ratio of the two hollows. I stippled part of the egg, charred and wire brushed the whole thing (minus the small hollow, and then drilled and added yarn hair plugs to the top (around 300 or so). Each hair plug is made of two strands and a knot, which I hammered into the holes. The hair can be styled however--it's fun to mess around with. The glass marble is the eye.
The name comes from the appearance of the cracks. I initially wanted to discard this to the fancy firewood pile, but I also really like the piece of Black Locust. So, I stewed on it for a while. After viewing the egg in a lot of different positions, I saw a face when it was upside down. And then I accepted that sometimes wood moves, cracks, and changes, but it can still be pleasant to look at. Some might see the crack as a disqualifier, and others might see it as character. Hence, beauty is in the "Eye of the Beholder". Ultimately, it's just a fun a whimsical piece that begs to be styled :p. Here are a couple of alternate views:

7uSL6Sw.jpeg

Iole0xf.jpeg

Wow just wow! Speechless

Way to get out of the box Michael; BTW, you spend quite a bit of time out of it, lol! I see nothing weird, I see a fun and creative piece with some great details!! Thanks for this morning’s chuckle!!

Thanks a lot, Russ! Sometimes I get lost and have to find my way back inside. This guy currently has a hairdo a la Christopher Reid in House Party. Fun stuff!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device