• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Figured Mexican Bocote Reverse Curve Box
Gabriel Hoff

Figured Mexican Bocote Reverse Curve Box

On this box I really wanted to try out the reverse curve feature. It is a new shape but still with some of my signature details, such as the slight undercut rim, small base and domed lid. Turned from figured Mexican Bocote (Cordia Spp.) this particular piece has fantastic figure and color. It almost looks like pippy or birdseye figure. Turned, hollowed to a very thin wall, and finished with wax and gloss lacquer. Size if approx. 2.75" tall and 2.25" in diameter. I will add this style to the rotation for future boxes!
Hi Gabriel.....beautiful box, as always. :)

Is Bocote, with it's oily content, clogging your sandpaper?

Now that you've been turning boxes for a few years, is the fit of lid to base maintaining the original suction fit.....or, are you seeing some warping with time that alters the preciseness of this critical mating of surfaces?

-o-

Thanks Odie!! Yes it clogs the sandpaper really badly I get about 2-5 seconds before it turns the paper into oily resin. I don't worry too much about it though because with most of my boxes I can achieve an almost sanded surface with the tool. Using a Hunter #1 carbide cutter or a Boxmaster negative rake scraper usually gives me a 220 grit or better surface on most exotics.

As for the lid fit, I haven't seen too much change, possibly a slight tightening on woods that hold a bit of moisture, but I tend to turn most of my lids to a "pop" fit, not really a suction fit or a loose fit. Think of it as a light snap when the lid is placed on the base not really a air movement like some turners. I never have a loose fit, it annoys me! I don't mind this "snap" fit and neither do my fellow turners as it is kind of a fit I have gotten used to making. As for the details or finish I have yet to have a box peel, warp or loose detail definition. The day might be coming though....:)

Lovely little box, Gabriel. I assume your finish is lacquer topped with wax ... not the other way around. Or am I wrong about that?

Lovely little box, Gabriel. I assume your finish is lacquer topped with wax ... not the other way around. Or am I wrong about that?
Thanks Tom!! No, it actually is the other way around. I first apply Dr Kirk's Scratch Free, then buff it really well, about 2,500 rpm for 1 minute, then two to three coats of lacquer. I have never, ever had a box peel, chip or otherwise, and I have some boxes over two years old using this method. Some turners are skeptical of this way, but it works and it is way less time to apply and never needs sanded back. I should mention that sometimes on the dense exotics, one coat can give me a glass like finish.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename