• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
First attempt at Carved Rim
Norfolk Island Pine. 14" diameter, 12" height. Hollowed with carved feet and rim. Finished with oil/resin.
very nice, i applaud your courage with the nip

Born on July 29, 2007 and already on the internet. Kids today are amazing. ;)

Thanks for the compliment on the piece.

NIP is very easy to turn if you get a piece that is in good shape. Spalting will introduce a lot of color to the piece, but it also inibits the translucence that a lot of turners try to achieve. I use the most spalted pieces for hollow forms where tranlucence wouldn't be that big a factor anyway. Vases and bowls I tend to go with lightly spalted to get a nice mix of colors and translucence. Heavily spalted pieces can be very black when finished. Fresh cut wood is blond and pretty featureless but it can be turned very thin and translucent. The more spalted the wood, the more likely you are to encounter tearout problems, but it can usually be dealt with. NIP is also a great wood for carving. Very easy and forgiving.

For finishing I soak the pieces in BLO for a day or two. Let them dry (during which time most of the great color will appear to vanish) for a couple days and then finish them with wipe-on poly (which restores the full color). I almost always turn NIP end grain. I tend to turn my pieces thin and to finish them in one turning session. Thick pieces can start to develop cracks if left to dry. If cracks start, you can use thin CA to stop the cracks. In a nicely spalted piece the filled cracks won't be noticed and add a little extra character.

Good luck if you give it a try. If you are bidding on ebay, be careful. I've seen some nice looking pieces and some real junk being offered.

Ed

OMG!!! Lovin' it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed_McDonnell
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings