• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Follow the Grain Road
Michael Anderson

Follow the Grain Road

This piece of Bradford Pear started as traditional calabash form; however, after sanding it seemed fairly bland. Following some recent inspiration (@Will Armstrong latest bowl post as one), I decided to spruce it up with texture and color. I carved away every other growth ring and used a fine ball burr on the whole surface. The inside is red acrylic, and the outside is India ink. Finished with rattle lacquer. Fun!
Some alternative views, including one of the bottom:
wWJqNQL.jpg

IUBMLKC.jpg

XUSIaD7.jpg

Another nice one, Michael. Might I suggest using your name on the bottom and not MAA. Decades from now even you won't know who MAA is! ;) BTW - I don't think those dots on the red interior add anything to your piece .... unless you are trying to hide something.

Another nice one, Michael. Might I suggest using your name on the bottom and not MAA. Decades from now even you won't know who MAA is! ;) BTW - I don't think those dots on the red interior add anything to your piece .... unless you are trying to hide something.
Thank you, Tom. :) That’s a great suggestion. I just bought a little pyro calligraphy set from someone here, and I’m still a little sloppy with my full name. You’re completely right though. AND, I was absolutely trying to hide something with the dots—I’m not a big fan either. Ha! I thought it would be cool to have the texture overflowing a bit into the interior, but after I painted it looked kind of dumb. It also looked kind of rough, so the dots seems like the lesser of two evils. So it goes! I have a bigger version in the works that will definitely be sans dots :)

I do like this concept of following the growth rings, great job Michael! It reminds me a bit of sandblasted pieces I have seen, but without the equipment and mess! Or like you charred it. The red inside works nicely but have to agree with Tom about the dots. Now you have inspired me! Thanks

Thank you very much Will and Vincent!!

I’m always somewhat hesitant to post a piece that has a feature I’m not sold on (the dots), but it’s good to get that affirming feedback. And I’m this case, I was happy enough with the exterior to offset the anxiety with my subpar interior design :p

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename