• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Gazebo Box
billooms

Gazebo Box

Having done some pierced tops, I thought it would be fun to do some piercing on side panels. The windows are recycled piano key Ivory and are pierced on the ornamental lathe. The top is again inspired by the onion domes on St. Basil's cathedral in Russia. The top is a loose-fitting lid that can be removed.

There are 17 separate pieces. Each piece was hand-turned then decorated on the ornamental lathe. The holes for the vertical posts were drilled on a milling machine with a rotary table to get precise positions.

The wood is African Blackwood, size is 6.5" tall. Comments and critique are welcome.
well thought out. Beautifully executed. Is your thought process--- I know exactly what I want, this is how to set the machine, or I am going to set the machine and see what comes out?
I do have a machine that I don't realy know what is going to happen ,I just put a block of wood in and turn the crank and voila ...
What machine do you have?

There are times when I go to the shop and experiment for fun. Once I get some ideas, then I do the planning (which is especially important for a project like this). Precision is needed, and calipers are indispensable.

I started with an MDF rose engine, and now I'm using a machine that I designed and built myself. More info is on my web site (www.billooms.com).

For the patterns, I simulate the pattern on a computer first. My experimentation is mostly on the computer (faster and easier). Then when I start cutting, I know exactly what I'm going to get and the dimensions of the cuts. Some of the software I've made available to others (more info about the software is also on my web site as well as on a YouTube video).

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billooms
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename